Hello all - DT125RE questions

This post is 5908 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

Ok, so I'm 40, and this is probably a mid life crisis, but I'm gonna do CBT next month and have my heart and mind set on a Yamaha DT125RE (Black). I was gonna go for a Honda XR125, but then I saw one on the road, and they are really short. I'm 6'2", and I think the 900mm seat height on the DT would suit me fine.

Anyway, I'm getting mixed messages about the premix situation... after hearing its a pain in the arse etc, I then heard that certain bikes use a pump of some sort to do the premix thing for you. Anyone know the details? What models have the pump thing? Does it work? Your thoughts.

Also, I'm gonna take this opportunity to get some basic mechanic skills behind me. Can anyone suggest some basic tools to start with just for the standard maintenance tasks on a DT?

Another thing. I am soooo worried about buying second hand, especially about if a bike has been run in properly. Is this something I really need to worry about? What other blindingly obvious things should I look out for when buying second hand.

Please be aware.... I AM A TOTAL NOOB!

:)

Regards

FS

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi,

Ok, so I'm 40, and this is probably a mid life crisis, but I'm gonna do CBT next month and have my heart and mind set on a Yamaha DT125RE (Black). I was gonna go for a Honda XR125, but then I saw one on the road, and they are really short. I'm 6'2", and I think the 900mm seat height on the DT would suit me fine.

Anyway, I'm getting mixed messages about the premix situation... after hearing its a pain in the arse etc, I then heard that certain bikes use a pump of some sort to do the premix thing for you. Anyone know the details? What models have the pump thing? Does it work? Your thoughts.

Also, I'm gonna take this opportunity to get some basic mechanic skills behind me. Can anyone suggest some basic tools to start with just for the standard maintenance tasks on a DT?

Another thing. I am soooo worried about buying second hand, especially about if a bike has been run in properly. Is this something I really need to worry about? What other blindingly obvious things should I look out for when buying second hand.

Please be aware.... I AM A TOTAL NOOB!

:)

Regards

FS

Hi FS and welcome, Ive got a DT even older, its a 1979 DT175MX, and guess what, yes it got autolube just like the DT125R, its done around 37000 miles and the autolube has never let me down once, you need to make sure that the one on the bike you buy is functioning correctly. As for buying second hand, you could do with taking someone along with you who knows their way around a bike, someone who at a glance can tell if the chain and sprockets are worn and that the bike is apparently in good condition, bearing in mind how old and the price paid, it would be good if you could buy one from a mature owner but unlikely to find one of those in a hurry

Look out for

Receipts for work done and service history

chain wear

no rust and pitting and oil (leaking seals) on the fork stancheons, pump them up and down for a while to test

have a look round the bolt heads and engine screw heads all over bike, look for signs of damage through using the wrong tools

Generally is the chrome, paint, no dents and dings, plastics and decals in good shape

Good luck, i think its a good choice to learn a bit about bikes and have some fun :thumb:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online