SERIOUS PROBLEM!

This post is 5911 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

DT125R pulls to the left not the normal slight pull from the camber but if i lightly grip the bars the hole bike sort of dives like it wants to swoop to the left even at higher speeds also when breaking it does the same thing. when i put the front wheel between my nees and wobble the bars the bars go left and right so do the forks but the wheel stays still only slightly what could this be?

is it possibly for the axle to break? if so would it cause this effect?

wheel bearing? "-------------"

i no the brake isnt sticking so thats elimanted

what else could it be? any suggestions

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

DT125R pulls to the left not the normal slight pull from the camber but if i lightly grip the bars the hole bike sort of dives like it wants to swoop to the left even at higher speeds also when breaking it does the same thing. when i put the front wheel between my nees and wobble the bars the bars go left and right so do the forks but the wheel stays still only slightly what could this be?

is it possibly for the axle to break? if so would it cause this effect?

wheel bearing? "-------------"

i no the brake isnt sticking so thats elimanted

what else could it be? any suggestions

Sounds dangerous mikey, I think youre on the right lines about the wheel bearings, you need to put the bike up on a bottle crate or something, remove the wheel and examine the bearings. you should not feel this looseness as you twist the bars. Also look out for loose fork yoke bolts and worn swing arm bushes, last but not least check for rear wheel alignment, the usual way is to use a long straight edge from the back wheel along the bike to the front wheel, there should be an equal gap at the front of the front tyre and at the back of the front tyre

Sounds dangerous mikey, I think youre on the right lines about the wheel bearings, you need to put the bike up on a bottle crate or something, remove the wheel and examine the bearings. you should not feel this looseness as you twist the bars. Also look out for loose fork yoke bolts and worn swing arm bushes, last but not least check for rear wheel alignment, the usual way is to use a long straight edge from the back wheel along the bike to the front wheel, there should be an equal gap at the front of the front tyre and at the back of the front tyre

hi thanks for the reply

yer it feel dangerous but i need to use it to get to work so im just guna have to go slow and steady all last week its been doing it but im sure it always has its just got worse tho.. i tightened the fork pinch bolts up to the correct torque but it didnt make a difference.

what am i looking for when i check the bearings? will they just be inside the hub and visible? would i hear a noise if it were bearings becuase i cant hear anything?

ok thanks for the tips il get on it

hi thanks for the reply

yer it feel dangerous but i need to use it to get to work so im just guna have to go slow and steady all last week its been doing it but im sure it always has its just got worse tho.. i tightened the fork pinch bolts up to the correct torque but it didnt make a difference.

what am i looking for when i check the bearings? will they just be inside the hub and visible? would i hear a noise if it were bearings becuase i cant hear anything?

ok thanks for the tips il get on it

Ok you know theres a problem you even correctly diagnosed it with holding tha wheel and twisting the bars

youre going to have to remove the wheel, and in so doing you will see if your axle is ok, then if tou stick your finger in each side of the wheel you should be able to 'feel' if the bearings are silky smooth or rough as a bears wotsit.

Incidentally bent fork stancheons could also be thrown in the mix, has it had a bump lately?

And also check that the spokes are not loose , this is an easy check so do it now!

Ok you know theres a problem you even correctly diagnosed it with holding tha wheel and twisting the bars

youre going to have to remove the wheel, and in so doing you will see if your axle is ok, then if tou stick your finger in each side of the wheel you should be able to 'feel' if the bearings are silky smooth or rough as a bears wotsit.

Incidentally bent fork stancheons could also be thrown in the mix, has it had a bump lately?

And also check that the spokes are not loose , this is an easy check so do it now!

ok i will do that tomorow its definatly the front end the rear swingarm bushes are all ok.

have you ever heard of a bent axle or snapped?

bearings arnt too expensive surely.

i have been hitting speedramps pretty quick recently but not since iv noticed it but i was sure it used to do it before! and surely a speedbump on this type of bike isnt a big deal..

this bikes been a head ache from the start as rule of thumb i advise any one who gets real exited about buying bikes not to rush into it and buy the first you see as i did (well i didnt see it, it was a ebay job which i regret!)

thanks again mate il let you no what happens

im not sure if its had a bump the bike was a wreck when i got it but is now the nicest dt lots of people have seen according to the middleaged people who had them as youngsters.

ok i will do that tomorow its definatly the front end the rear swingarm bushes are all ok.

have you ever heard of a bent axle or snapped?

bearings arnt too expensive surely.

i have been hitting speedramps pretty quick recently but not since iv noticed it but i was sure it used to do it before! and surely a speedbump on this type of bike isnt a big deal..

this bikes been a head ache from the start as rule of thumb i advise any one who gets real exited about buying bikes not to rush into it and buy the first you see as i did (well i didnt see it, it was a ebay job which i regret!)

thanks again mate il let you no what happens

im not sure if its had a bump the bike was a wreck when i got it but is now the nicest dt lots of people have seen according to the middleaged people who had them as youngsters.

Cant imagine what would bend or snap an axle, Youre right, it should absolutely eat speed bumps no problem, you could do with a manual , Haynes or similar.

Cant imagine what would bend or snap an axle, Youre right, it should absolutely eat speed bumps no problem, you could do with a manual , Haynes or similar.

hmm me neither. yer it does loves speed ramps :D makes me grin im sure that couldnt be what did it in the first place maybe it just made it more noticeable. i have a haynes what should i be looking for? take it easy

hmm me neither. yer it does loves speed ramps :D makes me grin im sure that couldnt be what did it in the first place maybe it just made it more noticeable. i have a haynes what should i be looking for? take it easy

Fron wheel removal, so you can feel the bearings

....i have been hitting speedramps pretty quick recently .......

Micky, this isn't going to help your current problem, but it might help prevent it in the future.

The speed bumbs, how savage are they? We've some up here (in the less salubrious areas of town) that really need to be treated as something you'd find off road, in fact you can drop off some of them at 30mph!. It's just a thought but are you hitting them too hard with your weight in the wrong place ?? The bike should deal with them no problem but they just need a bit of help sometimes, like getting you weight right, the front wheel should be 'lighter' (weight back, litle tug on the bars and a bit of power), like the early stages of a wheelie - I'm not suggesting you wheelie over the bumps, or even do it at speed, but just a very slight movement of weight. Even just moving you backside back over the bike will help. I don't know if you are doing this already, and I'm not suggesting you can't ride, it's just a very subtle change in weigh distribution. Even standing on the pegs will change the CoG (Centre of Gravity)

When you hit anything (rock, curb, speed bump, road kill etc), your tyre is the first to react (compression), this force is passed through the spokes, then the hub then through the bearings, then the forks will compress. Your forks are progressive so the more weight you have on them = slower response & more force needs to be transitted from the ground up, so by removing some of that you allow the whole system to function a little quicker, and you lessen the load on the unsprung weight.

The best way to practise is find a green lane that your bike is OK with (nothing to muddy if you're on dual sport tyres) and have a go (when you get it fixed!), watch out for :farmerjohn: and the red scoks brigade - it's fantastic fun and you'll learn about balance and weight distribution. You can find the green lanes on you local councils website under "definative map"

..or I might just be going on and on and on.... sometimes I just need to get of my :soapbox: and shut the f'k up!

Micky, this isn't going to help your current problem, but it might help prevent it in the future.

The speed bumbs, how savage are they? We've some up here (in the less salubrious areas of town) that really need to be treated as something you'd find off road, in fact you can drop off some of them at 30mph!. It's just a thought but are you hitting them too hard with your weight in the wrong place ?? The bike should deal with them no problem but they just need a bit of help sometimes, like getting you weight right, the front wheel should be 'lighter' (weight back, litle tug on the bars and a bit of power), like the early stages of a wheelie - I'm not suggesting you wheelie over the bumps, or even do it at speed, but just a very slight movement of weight. Even just moving you backside back over the bike will help. I don't know if you are doing this already, and I'm not suggesting you can't ride, it's just a very subtle change in weigh distribution. Even standing on the pegs will change the CoG (Centre of Gravity)

When you hit anything (rock, curb, speed bump, road kill etc), your tyre is the first to react (compression), this force is passed through the spokes, then the hub then through the bearings, then the forks will compress. Your forks are progressive so the more weight you have on them = slower response & more force needs to be transitted from the ground up, so by removing some of that you allow the whole system to function a little quicker, and you lessen the load on the unsprung weight.

The best way to practise is find a green lane that your bike is OK with (nothing to muddy if you're on dual sport tyres) and have a go (when you get it fixed!), watch out for :farmerjohn: and the red scoks brigade - it's fantastic fun and you'll learn about balance and weight distribution. You can find the green lanes on you local councils website under "definative map"

..or I might just be going on and on and on.... sometimes I just need to get of my :soapbox: and shut the f'k up!

Hello mate cheers for the info :D since i got my bike a few months before my bday (wasnt allowed it offroad) i greenlaned alot :D everyday and some nights and i must say its pretty close to a real crosser just not as unforgiving on acceleration but its not a million miles away!

the bumps are pretty bad i usually do 30-40 over them moving back on the seat a bit i usually dip the clutch get it to lift the front wheel or make it real light and just sort of jump them not high just long ish! i got big nobbley on the back and a road nobbley on the ftront...

thanks for the your suggestions mate and hints ;) ride safely

_____________FOUND THE PROBLEM_________________________

ok i took my bike to a motorbike shop and he said the flex when holding the front wheel and pulling the bars side to side is normal there should be some he showed me other bikes sayng theres always some it just looks a bit more becuase of the length of my forks which i am releaved about :D pheww..! maybe i was just being over dramatic!

i checked the wheel bearings they are all fine

however the steering to one side i am sayiny my forks are out of aligned as when going dead straight the handlebars are turnt slightly so i need to twist the legs straight re align them! not for the part where the bike wants to swoop to the right both fork legs stick out the top yoke the left by about 1 mil the right by about 5 mill :D i think thats why

what do you think?

thanks for all your opions and help

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online