engine transplant

needles
This post is 5912 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i have a 1983 xj550 and my engine is fubar. i want to put another engine in the bike as it's a very good frame etc. my question is, am i restricted to the same engine or will anything else fit straight in? ie something a little bigger.

obviously still yamaha xj to use the same mountings etc. also does anyone have an engine ofr sale that will fit in or a 550 engine ofr sale?

thanks peeps

Needles

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i have a 1983 xj550 and my engine is fubar. i want to put another engine in the bike as it's a very good frame etc. my question is, am i restricted to the same engine or will anything else fit straight in? ie something a little bigger.

obviously still yamaha xj to use the same mountings etc. also does anyone have an engine ofr sale that will fit in or a 550 engine ofr sale?

thanks peeps

Needles

Hi Needles.

I had the same problem with my xj550 & found out that any engine of the same configuration will fit the frame. I put a 1983 xj600 engine in my frame & after a little messing around with the igniter units managed to get a top speed of 125mph (fork seals were knackered so this speed was where me undies started to change colour). I have a 1986 fz600 at the moment & it has the same configuration engine & i know that if you look around you'll find a few still in some breakers.By the way don't get fooled into buying a later engine (1990's or later) as these engines have a tilted head & barrels & won't fit.

grizzlydan.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online