DT125MX MOTOR OIL

hamiltonblk
This post is 5911 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all!

I have just bought a DT125MX 1980 model. Its for my son to drive around the lanes down here in the South West of france (great trails here).

problem is i don't know much about bikes...can anyone tell me:

What is the plastic tank on the right hand side for that says Motor Oil ..... yes ok it's for oil but should it be kept full and with what oil?

2 Stoke mixture what should it be and do you just pre - mix and put the fuel in the tank?

What grade oil do you use for the engine, how much does it take and where is the sump plug?

Gear Box again what grade of oil and where is the drain plug and hole for adding the box oil?

I have also to replace the air filter what type / marque would be best for dusty trails?

thanks guys

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all!

What is the plastic tank on the right hand side for that says Motor Oil ..... yes ok it's for oil but should it be kept full and with what oil?

2 Stoke mixture what should it be and do you just pre - mix and put the fuel in the tank?

What grade oil do you use for the engine, how much does it take and where is the sump plug?

Gear Box again what grade of oil and where is the drain plug and hole for adding the box oil?

I have also to replace the air filter what type / marque would be best for dusty trails?

thanks guys

Its a two stroke engine and so it needs two kind of oil.

The first is two stroke oil, this is put in the plastic tank on the side of the bike and is pumped directly to a spigot on the side of the carburettor (you may see this pipe coming from the front right of the engine into carb). There is a red coloured oil level warning lamp for this, it should be on permanent in neutral (this is a lamp test facility) and if its on when in gear the level is low and should be topped up immediately. Note if this tank is empty you will have to bleed the pump when you top it up. Because of this set up the is no requirement to pre mix oil/petrol, BUT if you dont know the history of this bike you need to verify that the oil pump is still fitted and functioning (its under a cover at front of engine), and that the cable from the throttle is still functioning on the pulley of this pump. The cable and pulley allow the pump stroke to increase as the throttle is opened wider and vise versa.

The other oil is the gearbox oil, you will see a drain plug under the engine.

the filling point and dip stick is behind the kick start lever. Use SAE 10W/30 motor oil in here. when settin level from dip stick, hold bike vertical and dont screw dipstick in when dipping.

The air filter is an oiled foam type, you do not have to discard it if it looks ok, just wash it in a little petrol (work safely) squeeze out excess petrol but dont wring and leave it to dry, then applly a little two stroke oil and work it in thoroughly, it must be damp but not dripping.

Have fun!...Great bikes these

Thanks!!

The tank was empty so I have filled that now.

The pump is still there and working with the throtle.

To bleed it i removed a small screw on the pump caseing and twisted the throtle till oil came out ... is that right?

The Neutral light isnt working and the red light isnt coming on .... how can i be sure the pump is working properlly?

As for the old air filter that just disintergrated in my hands!!! Any good ones you can recomend?

thanks again...

Its a two stroke engine and so it needs two kind of oil.

The first is two stroke oil, this is put in the plastic tank on the side of the bike and is pumped directly to a spigot on the side of the carburettor (you may see this pipe coming from the front right of the engine into carb). There is a red coloured oil level warning lamp for this, it should be on permanent in neutral (this is a lamp test facility) and if its on when in gear the level is low and should be topped up immediately. Note if this tank is empty you will have to bleed the pump when you top it up. Because of this set up the is no requirement to pre mix oil/petrol, BUT if you dont know the history of this bike you need to verify that the oil pump is still fitted and functioning (its under a cover at front of engine), and that the cable from the throttle is still functioning on the pulley of this pump. The cable and pulley allow the pump stroke to increase as the throttle is opened wider and vise versa.

The other oil is the gearbox oil, you will see a drain plug under the engine.

the filling point and dip stick is behind the kick start lever. Use SAE 10W/30 motor oil in here. when settin level from dip stick, hold bike vertical and dont screw dipstick in when dipping.

The air filter is an oiled foam type, you do not have to discard it if it looks ok, just wash it in a little petrol (work safely) squeeze out excess petrol but dont wring and leave it to dry, then applly a little two stroke oil and work it in thoroughly, it must be damp but not dripping.

Have fun!...Great bikes these

Thanks!!

The tank was empty so I have filled that now.

The pump is still there and working with the throtle.

To bleed it i removed a small screw on the pump caseing and twisted the throtle till oil came out ... is that right?

The Neutral light isnt working and the red light isnt coming on .... how can i be sure the pump is working properlly?

As for the old air filter that just disintergrated in my hands!!! Any good ones you can recomend?

thanks again...

Air filter 1 link

Sometimes find them here link pattern ones, more like the original, none in at the moment but they usually advertise them

to check the function of the pump i need to know if the bike is running

If it is

• remove the pump cover
  • pull off the oil pipe from the carb
  • start the engine and let it idle
  • now turn the oil pump pulley with your hand until it is fully open

there should be pulses of oil coming from the disconnected pipe as this is the pumps maximum output position. You will notice that if you let the pulley return to its starting position, the pumps output will be greatly reduced

When happy DO NOT FORGET TO REPLACE the oil pipe back on the carburettor

If the bike has stood idle for a while (which it appears to have done) you really do need to verify this pump action before its ridden

As for the indicator oil / neutral lights pull out the little clips from under the relevant clock (ie speedo or tacho), it can then be lifted up enough th gain access to the lamps