1982 Seca Turbo XJ650 turbo bypass

marshmoose
This post is 5912 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Last week, after a bout with an electrical short, a flooded engine, and ultimately a dead battery (and a lot of 4-letter words) I had to take my car to work. The next day, I tried jumping it off my car and after a an hour and a half and getting it running (but not idling), I called it quits. The next day I came home from work with a puddle of oil under the bike.

The engine was dry underneath, so I took the exhaust system between the engine and the turbo and there was about a quart of oil in it. I read somewhere that it's a symptom of a bad check valve in the turbo oil loop, so I checked that out and everything was good. I filled the oil back up, got it started and went on a short ride, hoping it was just from the hour and a half of cranking on it and nothing more. Got back and parked my bike and saw the trail of oil out of my garage, out of the drive, and back in to under my bike. I've heard replacing the turbo is as expensive as replacing the bike...

can anybody help me in bypassing and disabling the turbo system?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Last week, after a bout with an electrical short, a flooded engine, and ultimately a dead battery (and a lot of 4-letter words) I had to take my car to work. The next day, I tried jumping it off my car and after a an hour and a half and getting it running (but not idling), I called it quits. The next day I came home from work with a puddle of oil under the bike.

The engine was dry underneath, so I took the exhaust system between the engine and the turbo and there was about a quart of oil in it. I read somewhere that it's a symptom of a bad check valve in the turbo oil loop, so I checked that out and everything was good. I filled the oil back up, got it started and went on a short ride, hoping it was just from the hour and a half of cranking on it and nothing more. Got back and parked my bike and saw the trail of oil out of my garage, out of the drive, and back in to under my bike. I've heard replacing the turbo is as expensive as replacing the bike...

can anybody help me in bypassing and disabling the turbo system?

Hi I've owned two turbos in my life both xj650 turbos and have had two rebuilds, without seeing your turbo in action I think it could be the turbo has blown internally and the oil is gathering at the lowest part of the bike ie the turbo, and trying to force itself out via the gaskets etc. Its good that you have checked the oil relief valve beceause that is a known leaking point. Besides difficulty in starting does it blow smoke as well coz that is a bad sign. If it is the turbo you probably have three options. Buy another turbo, rebuild or sell. I once bought a rolling chasis as well from a fellow courier who had the same issues as you and he put his xj650 turbo motor in a xj650 standard frame and changed the oil sump plate over hence bypassing the plumbing involved with the air intake. Also look on the NET and google Yamaha XJ650 Turbo and you should find a couple of guys there who describe their pain and their troubleshooting advice.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online