R1 sticking clutch

skidlid56
This post is 5927 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Having probs trying to unstick my r1 clutch. Ive tried getting the engine hot,putting in 3rd gear and rocking with the clutch in,but it refuses to budge. (my fault as its been stored for a year)

presume ill have to strip it down,clean the plates and refit.Not being mechanical minded,wondered any problems doing this. Any tips would be gratefully received about doing this job.(how long will it take approx)

Cheers howard

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not being funny, but if you are not mechanically minded and have little or no experience in motorcycle engineering, doing a clutch is not the place to start learning.

You will likely end up with a face full of springs a big puddle of oil and a box of pieces (maybe all of them) and a bike in the back of a van on the way to a sympathetic bike repairer.

Get hold of ANY Haynes manual for a four stroke, four cylinder bike and have a look at the clutch pages. they list it as 3 spanners (out of five) for difficulty, "Fairly difficult".."suitable for competent D.I.Y. mechanic".

Get some help and watch whats going on and ask loads of questions, and try doing the next one.

Did you store your bike on the prop stand? if you do, all the oil runs down to the left side of the engine exposing the now dry clutch to any moisture in the air inside your crankcase. Get it up on a paddock stand and run it again. so the clutch is bathed in oil, and put a cable tye or similar around the lever to put the cable into full tension. the hot oil bath may free it up. also try pulling the lever in and out as the engine is running.

even if this does work, you might end up with a grabby / juddery clutch, in which case it will need to be stripped. At least you will be able to ride it to the shop though.

When you store your bike in future, level it up by placing on a paddock stand, so some oil sits in the bottom of the clutch housing, then run the engine and try the clutch etc every now and then.

Good luck. R.

I don't know whether this is a wet clutch that's dried out or a dry clutch that the mechanism has jammed. Either way do not disassemble it just try to free it , gently.

Failure to do this will result in a visit to the dealers.

Not being funny, but if you are not mechanically minded and have little or no experience in motorcycle engineering, doing a clutch is not the place to start learning.

You will likely end up with a face full of springs a big puddle of oil and a box of pieces (maybe all of them) and a bike in the back of a van on the way to a sympathetic bike repairer.

Get hold of ANY Haynes manual for a four stroke, four cylinder bike and have a look at the clutch pages. they list it as 3 spanners (out of five) for difficulty, "Fairly difficult".."suitable for competent D.I.Y. mechanic".

Get some help and watch whats going on and ask loads of questions, and try doing the next one.

Did you store your bike on the prop stand? if you do, all the oil runs down to the left side of the engine exposing the now dry clutch to any moisture in the air inside your crankcase. Get it up on a paddock stand and run it again. so the clutch is bathed in oil, and put a cable tye or similar around the lever to put the cable into full tension. the hot oil bath may free it up. also try pulling the lever in and out as the engine is running.

even if this does work, you might end up with a grabby / juddery clutch, in which case it will need to be stripped. At least you will be able to ride it to the shop though.

When you store your bike in future, level it up by placing on a paddock stand, so some oil sits in the bottom of the clutch housing, then run the engine and try the clutch etc every now and then.

Good luck. R.

R1evad

Many thanks for your help.Moved home a year ago and had so much work to do on the house,my two bikes were just stored and not used.Really diddent know about storing upright (you live and learn) but my 1,000 cc exup was fine,just rocked it in gear and that freed it.

have a fairly good mechanical knowledge as stripped and tuned my 750cc Norton Atlas, and matchless 650 csr no probs

but that was in the 60s and old british twins were just a little easier,than modern 1000 cc fours.

So will go the route of buying a paddock stand,and see how it goes.

Many thanks howard