TDM 850 1997 Battery Removal?

stevie747
This post is 5438 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

First thread here, and like many others, I've registered to tap into the world of experts out there.

My problem is the standard battery in my 97 TDM850 wont take any change anymore from a trickle charger. I guess it's shot and needs replacing, however the battery box looks to be situated in front of the rear shock and may need a gynecologist to get it out, any ideas folks?

Cheers, Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi,

First thread here, and like many others, I've registered to tap into the world of experts out there.

My problem is the standard battery in my 97 TDM850 wont take any change anymore from a trickle charger. I guess it's shot and needs replacing, however the battery box looks to be situated in front of the rear shock and may need a gynecologist to get it out, any ideas folks?

Cheers, Steve

I would suggest it can only come out 1 of 2 ways. If out the side look for a panel to unscrew under one of the side panels, if out through the top you may have to lift the tank.

I would suggest it can only come out 1 of 2 ways. If out the side look for a panel to unscrew under one of the side panels, if out through the top you may have to lift the tank.

It doesn't have side panels and when the tank's off, the rear shock is in the way

It doesn't have side panels and when the tank's off, the rear shock is in the way

Having just found out the battery is a sealed item then you may have to tilt it somehow to remove it. Possibly towards the front of the bike. Also make sure the battery connections are pushed out of the way as they can take up space when trying to twist or turn the battery out of the frame.

Having just found out the battery is a sealed item then you may have to tilt it somehow to remove it. Possibly towards the front of the bike. Also make sure the battery connections are pushed out of the way as they can take up space when trying to twist or turn the battery out of the frame.

I can't believe no one knows the answer to this, am I the only one who's ever needed a battery?

I can't believe no one knows the answer to this, am I the only one who's ever needed a battery?

If in doubt buy a service manual.

• 9 months later...

Ive got the '98' TDM and as far as i know its the same bike essentially.

The battery is just one job that seems over complicated.

Seat only, needs to come off, you need to remove the pump from the frame cross member under the seat [directly above the battery] and wriggle the battery around to get it out through the gap. The only other option i could think off was to drop the whole rear end out, but the way i discribed is alot easier..........

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online