xs400 starter- just spins and spins

pbaszxs400
This post is 5836 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have an 81 XS400 special with a starter problem. The old starter was dead, so I bought a new one off ebay. Now when I press the starter, I hear the starter motor spin, but the motor is not turning over like it is not engaging or something. To be honest, I haven’t looked to much into it yet, but should have time this weekend. Any thoughts on where to start?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have an 81 XS400 special with a starter problem. The old starter was dead, so I bought a new one off ebay. Now when I press the starter, I hear the starter motor spin, but the motor is not turning over like it is not engaging or something. To be honest, I haven’t looked to much into it yet, but should have time this weekend. Any thoughts on where to start?

Thanks

Is the pinion being engaged?

Thanks

looks like you will have to get a starter pinion set. I've seen them on mikes xs I think. the left hand casing will have to come off, but you shouldn't need to drain the oil if you leave the bike on its mainstand.

you will also need to get a special tool to break the rotor as the starter pinion is behind this.

I am assuming that this is the sohc version

drewpy