whats the FJ like?

xj hacky
This post is 5932 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

looking to buy an FJ on an early 90's plate, if you lads can just give me a few ideas what to look for, or hints on riding the big beast!!

greatfull for anything,

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

This one was bought for £275 a little while ago and is now being race prep`d :o

There are a few of the Ringjunkies who RACE these baby`s, so they cannot be that bad. (apart from the 16" wheels)

fj1.jpg

fj2.jpg

The things to look for on a second hand FJ are the clutch slave seals(Paint missing from oil filter housing) and the suspension linkages(If they havn't been looked after they will be siezed) and the rear shock, if its on its original it WILL be shagged, the fork seals are renowed for leaking.

As for riding its a pussy cat under 5 tho, but twist that throttle and let the revs rise its awsome and quick, it will blow away a lot of more modern bikes.

A lot of owners change front & back wheels as well as the front brake calipers.

Adam

2 weeks ago, I got an '86. Old, I know, but it only had 8287 miles on it when I brought it home. And only today, for the first time, rode it to work; my/it's first real ride, with new tires. Put about 160 miles on the old ones which must have been 15-20 years old; scary! They were quite cracked. And hard. Dumb move, perhaps, but that's alright, we survived.

Anyway, feels good to have power. On two seperate occasions, a newer GSXR came up behind me as we split lanes, they both followed me for a while. Until I decided to grab a lane and let 'em go by. My first sign that I've matured? :icon_confused:

The bike feels a bit buzzy at speeds higher that the indicated 55 ! I'll have to get used to that. I think I'll change the front sprocket. Add a tooth. I'm pretty sure it has the power to pull the gear as there is PLENTY, even down low.

The brakes are weak. The 16" wheels are sensitive to road bumps and other road irregularities. My new Metzler Laser tires follow the rain grooves a bit, too. All this made for a ride that that demanded my attention; I'll need to get used to it. I'm going to need some seat-time. It's much different from my RD or Ducati I can tell you that much! It does seem to turn well, tho. For a being such a beast.

I like the seat. I think. Worked well on my cummute. I'll need to take it for a mountain ride, and a long highway ride to be sure.

I hope that helps :icon_smile:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online