Need Info on 1972 Yamaha 650 XS-2

Shannon T.
This post is 5936 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey, so I'm consulting with the Yamaha experts here, right? I've got NO experience in evaluating what a street bike is worth, or even knowing what it is that I've got. We do own 3 pretty cool matching Yamaha dirt bikes, so I feel I've got a right to be in this forum- I've just never had a need to post anything.

So here's my dilema- I won this auction for an abandoned storage unit and in it (among many many other things) were two Yamaha motorcycles. One was a dirtbike with no engine, the other was this BEAUTIFUL street bike that looks 98% restored with not a speck of rust on it. We have no place to store it inside- so I'm thinking to either finish it off and sell it or just sell it as is. I have the serial #s and the date said 11/72. On the side it says Yamaha 650 OHC electric. I did a wikipedia search on it and see it looks like a XS-2 model but just wanted to know what yall thought. I have pictures if you'll email me.

One thing- we are NOT handy in fixing things and we live in the country about 1 hour from the nearest decent sized town. This bike may be worth thousands or it may not be worth the gas money to take it up to a shop- I don't really know.

Any info you have on this year/model would be so greatly appreciated, you don't even know! Bless you for reading this!

-Shannon T.

UPDATE: It's a 73, not a 72 and I'm listing it for sale for $1200 and the phone keeps ringing. Nobody's coughed up the full $1200 though so I've still got it. Any idea on estimating the value?

[email protected] :blink:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.