Electrical Question

Fireball
This post is 5922 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all,

My name is Ken and I'm new to the club. I've owned a 1981 SR250 Exciter for a couple years now and I love it.

The time has come to start making repairs and I'm glad you guys are here. I replaced the stator on it because the battery died on me last season while driving and it wasnt getting any charge. Now, I am getting 14 volts when running so she is charginge, but when I disconnect the negative cable, she dies. I know in a car if you do that and it dies then the alternator is bad... what about on the SR250?

Should she die when I disconnect the battery? and if not, what would be some of the causes even though the charging system seems to be working correctly?

Thanks guys in advance for any advice, can't wait to get on the road.

Ken

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey all,

My name is Ken and I'm new to the club. I've owned a 1981 SR250 Exciter for a couple years now and I love it.

The time has come to start making repairs and I'm glad you guys are here. I replaced the stator on it because the battery died on me last season while driving and it wasnt getting any charge. Now, I am getting 14 volts when running so she is charginge, but when I disconnect the negative cable, she dies. I know in a car if you do that and it dies then the alternator is bad... what about on the SR250?

Should she die when I disconnect the battery? and if not, what would be some of the causes even though the charging system seems to be working correctly?

Thanks guys in advance for any advice, can't wait to get on the road.

Ken

why are you disconnectng the battery when the bike is running?

you will f*ck up the rectifier and burn out the alternator and all you are doing is killing the juice to the coil thatr's why it stops!!

Ive been researchin on the net and found a bunch of different answers. I thought that was the way to make sure the alternator was working? So, I'm good to go? Its normal to die? I thought the SR250 had a magneto instead of an alternator and that is why it was different.

On a car it shouldnt die when you disconnect because when running the battery is no longer part of the circuit. The alternator keeps the engine running and charges the battery, but I'm not used to working on a bike.

why are you disconnectng the battery when the bike is running?

you will f*ck up the rectifier and burn out the alternator and all you are doing is killing the juice to the coil thatr's why it stops!!

As an ex wrench turner myself, I can tell you that it depends completely on the vehicle's electrical system. Older GM cars with the 10-SI Delco alternators will run with the battery disconnected. Newer cars would not.

I have no idea though about the specs on your bike.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online