Big fuel leak from rebuilt Carb

grusvag
This post is 5908 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well, hallelujah.

Finally got the damm thing running properly.

I lost count of how many times I took the carbs off, changed the float heights and put them back on.

What finally worked for me is setting the height at exactly 1" (when upside down, on the bench)(distance from edge of carb body to uppermost edge of float. I tried them at 1.07" and it ran like crap. I tried it at 1.15" and it ran like crap. I tried it at 1.0" and it runs beautifully! I gave up trying to measure them by tilting the carb and blowing air through the fuel supply inlet because a. I would have to have made some kind of rig to hold them steady while I adjusted the float heights and b. it simply wasn't very repeatable. There didn't seem to be a point where the air (fuel) would abruptly stop. Instead it would gradually taper off so it was hard to tell at what point to take the measurement. I even tried a neat suggestion found elsewhere about running fuel into the carb (while on the bench) and then measuring the actual fuel level in the bowls by running a clear vinyl tube from the fuel drain at the bottom of the bowl up alongside the bowl so you can see exactly where the fuel level is. (Setting Float Heights) That sort of got messy because I had bad connections with my bench hoses. So in desperation I resorted to trial and error and getting it in 3 tries eventually. Ugh!

Still pops a little at idle so I may try to tweak it a tiny bit, but man does it run a whole heck of a lot better now! It's like a different bike! Tons more power and response. Starts easily and idles much better. This has the BS34IIIs on it so I can't adjust the idle mixture. I think all I have to do now is synchronize the two carbs and I'll be on to other chores on the bike.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online