shifter

tungul
This post is 5836 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1980 xs4oo sometimes when i try to shift into my top gear it will drop into neutral since this is my first bike i wasn't sure if this was normal or not also when shifting down into first like when i am coming to a stop it makes a pretty loud clank as it drops into first.

Any help would be appreciated

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a 1980 xs4oo sometimes when i try to shift into my top gear it will drop into neutral since this is my first bike i wasn't sure if this was normal or not also when shifting down into first like when i am coming to a stop it makes a pretty loud clank as it drops into first.

Any help would be appreciated

its called a false neutral and mine does it sometimes.

mine clonks when cold but snicks when warm. my mates cbx1000 clonks everytime!!

Thanks for the reply i'm glad to hear it is a normal thing

I had another question for anyone out there when i come to a stop on my xs400 after a ride like 70 mph for 30 minutes it sometimes idles down until it dies and then when i try to start it the starter sometimes makes a grinding sound and it can be just a pain to get started again wasn't sure if this was an idle setting or maybe a heat problem anyways thanks for the help

Thanks for the reply i'm glad to hear it is a normal thing

I had another question for anyone out there when i come to a stop on my xs400 after a ride like 70 mph for 30 minutes it sometimes idles down until it dies and then when i try to start it the starter sometimes makes a grinding sound and it can be just a pain to get started again wasn't sure if this was an idle setting or maybe a heat problem anyways thanks for the help

just need to tune the bike, ignition timing valves etc and maybe adjust the pilot to richen or weaken a bit by checking the spark plugs.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online