xs400, front fork truble...

misterBee
This post is 5846 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi!

I've bought a xs400 12E - 1982, a couple of months ago. This is actualy my first bike, so I haven't much experience with motorbikes. (Although I've been driving a few other bikes to get my drivers lisence. )

I like the bike, but I'm not very satisfied with the front brakes. :mellow: That said, I'm not sure what to expect either. :unsure: The only comperison I can make, is to 2005 model touring bikes. Perhaps its not a fair comparison?? Any thoughts??

Well... The breaks is not my real problem...

I've got some oil leakage in the front fork.

And it is relatiely easy to "bottom out" the front fork. When I break hard or hit bumps in the road, it seams like the fron fork is way to soft (at least the bottom part of it). Could this be because of the oil leak?

I've ordered new oil seals for the fork, and I'm hoping to get them in a couple of days.

Do you think I need new springs to the fork aswell? - Are softness/hardness of the front shock absorbers adjustable in any way?

My bike has run about 30.000 km.

Any ideas, experiences, thoughts about my "front fork" issue is greatly appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi!

I've bought a xs400 12E - 1982, a couple of months ago. This is actualy my first bike, so I haven't much experience with motorbikes. (Although I've been driving a few other bikes to get my drivers lisence. )

I like the bike, but I'm not very satisfied with the front brakes. :mellow: That said, I'm not sure what to expect either. :unsure: The only comperison I can make, is to 2005 model touring bikes. Perhaps its not a fair comparison?? Any thoughts??

Well... The breaks is not my real problem...

I've got some oil leakage in the front fork.

And it is relatiely easy to "bottom out" the front fork. When I break hard or hit bumps in the road, it seams like the fron fork is way to soft (at least the bottom part of it). Could this be because of the oil leak?

I've ordered new oil seals for the fork, and I'm hoping to get them in a couple of days.

Do you think I need new springs to the fork aswell? - Are softness/hardness of the front shock absorbers adjustable in any way?

My bike has run about 30.000 km.

Any ideas, experiences, thoughts about my "front fork" issue is greatly appreciated.

when the seals are sound, they trap the air to make a sealed resevoir above the oil line in the forks. when the seals are knackered, the oils seeps out and you lose this cusioning effect, making the forks bottom out. having said that your springs could be also knackered!! you need to measure them against spec. dohc manual is available if you search this forum.

when the seals are sound, they trap the air to make a sealed resevoir above the oil line in the forks. when the seals are knackered, the oils seeps out and you lose this cusioning effect, making the forks bottom out. having said that your springs could be also knackered!! you need to measure them against spec. dohc manual is available if you search this forum.

Thanks for you insight. I'll make sure to measure the springs when I've disassembled my fork.

Any thought of what to expect from my front brake when it comes to braking power? (comparred to "newer" bikes, lets say a 91 Yamaha XJ Diversion).

Perhaps changing the break fluid and break blocks would help. I don't know how long it has been since it has been changed (if ever...).

Thanks again for your reply, drewpy.

:)

Thanks for you insight. I'll make sure to measure the springs when I've disassembled my fork.

Any thought of what to expect from my front brake when it comes to braking power? (comparred to "newer" bikes, lets say a 91 Yamaha XJ Diversion).

Perhaps changing the break fluid and break blocks would help. I don't know how long it has been since it has been changed (if ever...).

Thanks again for your reply, drewpy.

:)

fluid should be changed every 2 years, use sintered pads with stainless disks. the downside is that they wear out the disks quicker!

make sure the brake piston is free to move and justy do a general clean up.

I have a xs400RJ '82, the brakes are okay. You can check the owner's manual for stopping distances. I just replaced the brake lines (OEM) but haven't finished my partial restore.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online