Screams like a Banshee in 5th!! Help

Ultravixon
This post is 5855 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

Could anyone give me an idea of where to start with getting to the bottom of this terrible noise that has started whenever I select 5th Gear??

I have a 98 XVS 650 Dragstar, all other gears are fine and there is no loss of power either. Was told I was selecting 5th too early??? tried higher revs and makes no difference. Could it be the Gearbox bearings? I'd like to know before I take her off the road and start stripping it down, as she is my daily ride.

The gear selectection is fine, oil, filters etc all changed.

Any advice would be great

Cheers

Ultravixon - newby today!! Love the Site

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Doubt if its the gearbox bearings as 1st, 3rd and fifth are on the same shaft so you also hear it in those gears. I suspect that the selector fork is comming into contact with something when changing to fifth and that is what the noise is.

Just ensure that oil levels in all places are correct and if it doesn't stop, its a gearbox stripdown.

Doubt if its the gearbox bearings as 1st, 3rd and fifth are on the same shaft so you also hear it in those gears. I suspect that the selector fork is comming into contact with something when changing to fifth and that is what the noise is.

Just ensure that oil levels in all places are correct and if it doesn't stop, its a gearbox stripdown.

What he said.

I select 5th too early sometimes but mine doesnt scream like a banshee

And welcome to the site honey ;)

Any problems - or if you dont sort it just come bak and ask - and let us know how you get on!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online