backfire problem

bmiracle
This post is 5849 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 81' xs 400 and when I let off the throttle at high speeds it tends to let out a single and very loud backfire. This is the only time it really backfires. Is this normal or is there anything that I can do to stop this? Also another question to all those that own similar bikes, this is about gas millage. I get about about 100 miles out of the main tank (not including the reserve), does this seem like what the norm should be for this bike? I seems low for a motorcycle but this is my first motorcycle, so it could just be me being naive about motorcycles.

thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a 81' xs 400 and when I let off the throttle at high speeds it tends to let out a single and very loud backfire. This is the only time it really backfires. Is this normal or is there anything that I can do to stop this? Also another question to all those that own similar bikes, this is about gas millage. I get about about 100 miles out of the main tank (not including the reserve), does this seem like what the norm should be for this bike? I seems low for a motorcycle but this is my first motorcycle, so it could just be me being naive about motorcycles.

thanks

mine does it to some degree, its the age and the pertol nowerdays. 100miles form an 11litre tank is 50 mpg which is spot on. I get less, but i like to ride like i stole it!!

thanks

Well, my 80 XS400G (a special) gets about 42 MPG which runs about 106-119 before reserve. When I used to get about 50 I got about 135 miles before reserve. I'm guessing that that's just about what these bikes get these days. I just can't seem to get it better than that, and it's running pretty good now so I think it's about what it's going to get on todays gas (the added ethenol lowers the milage you get).