Front Fork problem on 79 xs400

underceije
This post is 5822 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Anyone have any clue on where I would find the cap on this bike for the front forks, I am trying to change the fork oil in the bike, I know where and how to drain, but this bike has a rubber cap on the top end of the fork, and nothing below that. The rubber cap is just a plug not a screw, and below those is just indented metal, no screw, no bolt... nothing. So where/how do you put fork oil back in the bike?

Thanks for the help

ceije

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

ok, take a BIG Phillips screwdriver, and you'll need a seal puller(preferably with an angled tip)

remove rubber cap.

make sure you have enough leverage.

use the driver to push down the plug below the rubber cap.

use the seal puller to get out the c clip. yes you can do this by yourself.

one hand on the driver and one using the seal puller.

after you get the clip out. slowly, and i mean slowly bring the driver up.

grab the plug when it clears the tube. if you don't it could fly off and hit something.

ok, take a BIG Phillips screwdriver, and you'll need a seal puller(preferably with an angled tip)

remove rubber cap.

make sure you have enough leverage.

use the driver to push down the plug below the rubber cap.

use the seal puller to get out the c clip. yes you can do this by yourself.

one hand on the driver and one using the seal puller.

after you get the clip out. slowly, and i mean slowly bring the driver up.

grab the plug when it clears the tube. if you don't it could fly off and hit something.

Thanks for the help, did not have a seal puller, but got the ring out none the less without damage or harm to myself.