Yamaha fj 1200 help needed

ELL
This post is 5477 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Everyone, I need help with a 1991 Yamaha fj 1200, She has been sitting up for a year and I got it started ok

but every time i try to put it in gear it cuts out, I think the clutch has stuck, a friend told me to put it on the center stand

and try it in gear but the engine still cuts out, has any one any ideas,

ELL

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Everyone, I need help with a 1991 Yamaha fj 1200, She has been sitting up for a year and I got it started ok

but every time i try to put it in gear it cuts out, I think the clutch has stuck, a friend told me to put it on the center stand

and try it in gear but the engine still cuts out, has any one any ideas,

ELL

Sounds like the side stand cutout switch is faulty, if the side stand is left down and you atempt to put it in gear the engine will cut out.

Adam.

Sounds like the side stand cutout switch is faulty, if the side stand is left down and you atempt to put it in gear the engine will cut out.

Adam.

Thanks thats what it was m8,

• 3 months later...

:D glad

while your at it, check the lower frame mounting bolts - where the remove-able section of frame joins on. My FJ, all of them had snapped, had to drill them out to a decent size (m10, I think).

also, seriously consider a dynojet kit + K&N filter. does help, drops your pull-away revs to about 800 :D :D & just generally brings the bike up a couple of notches.

you can go down a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket - you've got more than enough power, it makes for more relaxed cruising. The place i get chain & sprox from will do it no extra charge. They were called "Trade Direct", will have to dig out the number if you want it?

• 5 months later...

Hi all sorry to hijack this thread but does anyone know where i can get an 87' fj1200 ignitor unit (ecu) part no 1ux-82305-10-00 bought a crashed bike. wont let me post a new thread on the forum for some reason. Tried a few breakers yards but no luck.

thanks

chris

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online