DT175 Starting problems

This post is 5924 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1980 model DT175 enduro. It has been hard to start?

I have fitted a new plug etc but It's still hard to start.

I can bump start it OK and once started seems to run OK.It seems to start OK when warm/hot but is difficult when cold.

I have checked that the plug is sparking by removing it, earthing it out on the motor and kicking it over,it sparks but I'm not sure if it's what you would call a strong spark?

I'm wondering if about the CDI, coils, black box etc are not what they should be??

Any help would be apprecciated.

Thanks Mark

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:D

I have a 1980 model DT175 enduro. It has been hard to start?

I have fitted a new plug etc but It's still hard to start.

I can bump start it OK and once started seems to run OK.It seems to start OK when warm/hot but is difficult when cold.

I have checked that the plug is sparking by removing it, earthing it out on the motor and kicking it over,it sparks but I'm not sure if it's what you would call a strong spark?

I'm wondering if about the CDI, coils, black box etc are not what they should be??

Any help would be apprecciated.

Thanks Mark

hi ejute63.....you may not have an electrical fault at all ...check your maintenance book and compare the bikes compression ratio :D:D ...two strokes can be a bugger to start if the rings are worn.....another pointer may be worn or hard crank seals...if in dought on the electrical side check in your book it sould tell you how to check your coil ect with a multi meter....hope thats of a little help.regards martin.

i have two dt's of similar age, i find that a good squirt of a cold starting spray usually does the job (i've also found that most highly flammable aerosols have the same affect). Just squirt the spray right into the air intake and kick it over, it should start first time.

Adam

i have two dt's of similar age, i find that a good squirt of a cold starting spray usually does the job (i've also found that most highly flammable aerosols have the same affect). Just squirt the spray right into the air intake and kick it over, it should start first time.

Adam

Could be a bit of a faff keep removing the seat though, dont think its in the owners manual..oooh and all that hairspray on the filter, you wouldnt be able to do a thing with it before long :D:lol:

Could be a bit of a faff keep removing the seat though, dont think its in the owners manual..oooh and all that hairspray on the filter, you wouldnt be able to do a thing with it before long :D:lol:

oh yeh i forgot that i have fitted a universal cone air filter to mine :blink: yes i am a noob

Adam

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online