1981 XS400-My first bike (+ issues)

sleepyk
This post is 5746 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello All!

This is my first post on my first motorcycle:

When we recently bought our 1981 Yamaha XS 400 the previous owner mentioned that he had put a newer battery in it b/c the old one seemed dead. It became appearent as I began to ride it at home that the battery seemed o be draining everyday. When we first got it the electric start butto worked like a charm. Days later the electric start would hesitate and dim the hell out of the dash lights. After awhile I would have to kick start it. ....It got to the point where if I had my foot on the brake (activating the break light) and the turn signal on-the bike would shut down completely, leaving me kick starting it at a stop sign or stoplight. I put my battery tender on it and noticed after two days that the battery would not full charge. Ah-ha! It's the battery! I bought a new battery and charged it up per the directions, installed it and started it up the next morning. It was like having a new bike. Soon I realized the same issues were happening. Today it stalled 3 times. I assume there is something wrong with the alternator, but I'd like to know for sure before I spend $$ on one.

The other issue I have is less frustrating, but I will bring it up anyhow. From time to time when I am shifting from 4th->5th the bike goes into neutral. I shift down and back up and it's fine. Also the have ben times where I am shifting down as I approach a stop sign/light and cannot get the bike from 2nd to 1st. I asked the previous owner and he said that the first thing I should do is change the oil.

Anyhoo... Pleasure to be here and I appreciate any help I can get.

PS: Anyone have the Haynes manual for this bike. Is it worth the $30? I've seen some other older model Yamaha books that look terrible.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1. voltage regulator -mentioned in previous posts so do a search

2. mine has a false neutral 5th to 6th sometimes - try adjusting your chain 20mm slack at tightest spot

1. voltage regulator -mentioned in previous posts so do a search

2. mine has a false neutral 5th to 6th sometimes - try adjusting your chain 20mm slack at tightest spot

Fantastic. Thank you!!

• 1 month later...

Yea, 90% on the voltage reg.

Just a follow up (and help for anyone who may search this forum in the future). This was absolutely the problem. My bike starts without any thought of hesitation. The battery has not drained in the eek that it has been fixed. I am VERY PLEASED.

THANK YOU!

:D

BTW: I think the Haynes manual is crap. I think they are trying to cover too many bikes/years. Oh well..

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online