Fork seals

AliP
This post is 5851 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Both of my front fork seals have failed (apparently), both seals seem to be leaking oil at an alarming rate, the thing is, this happened at about 3000 km, and it seems to have happened to all the models of the same year, I cant replace the seals myself since the dealer can't find me a repair manual therefor I have none of the information i need to replace them myself.

The problem is they want to charge me 250$ to replace them, but it seems like a factory error, If its happening to every bike under 3000 km it cant just be wear and tear.

Any thoughts, should I go down there and raise hell about it or should I just let it go and count my losses?

If it matters the bike type is DT50R 2007, Its a enduro style moped.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Both of my front fork seals have failed (apparently), both seals seem to be leaking oil at an alarming rate,

I just did mine on my TTR, they are bit more 'hardcore' than most, but the job wasn't too bad and I managed it start to finish in a couple of hours - though I did have the workshop manual.

I've just had a search for anyone with a manual and came up with nothing!

The bike has 2 years warranty throughout Europe, so unless you've been thrashing the bike off-road I'd say you should be covered.

Good luck

I contacted 2 of my friends, (they have the same type of bike) and both of them have the same problem, but they don't believe it is caused by wear and tear, they believe that when the front suspension suffers a big impact (like wheelies) it fails, I know this bike isn't yamaha's best work, but if the suspension cant take anything I don't have any use for it.

Any thoughts? Could the suspension just be crap or is it a factory error? (assuming the failure is caused by impact).

Anyway I'll bring the bike into the workshop on Tuesday.