High Idling?

newguy76
This post is 5800 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys,

I'm back with a new question...

After trying to sell this bike and having it not start after 2 million kicks, I decided to remove the carburetor and clean it out. I didn't do anything special, just got rid of any gunk and polished it up.

I put it back on the bike and made sure everything was tightened up.

I then gave it one good kick and HOLY MACKEREL!!!! It turned on but that little sucker was at RPM 4000 and LOUD!

Not like an obnoxious loud, but a totally powerful loud.

I don't know anything about bikes and I pretty much used common sense to do this project. (I'm sort of proud of me), but I know that there is too much power here.

Any tips?

Also, I was thinking about trying to get the electric starter to work, but alas...I am a novice. :blink:

motorcycle%20002.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there,

Chances are that it is something pretty basic that has gone wrong !

1 check the throttle cable to make sure it is sitting in the top of the carb properly and any other housings.

2 make sure you havn't screwed the throttle stop screws in to far on the side of the carbs

3 check to make sure that the throttle slides are not stuck half way up the carb body

4 check that there are no air leaks between the carb and the cylinder head ( carbs are sitting properly in the rubbers)

Chances are that it is one of the above that is causing your problem

Hi there,

Chances are that it is something pretty basic that has gone wrong !

1 check the throttle cable to make sure it is sitting in the top of the carb properly and any other housings.

2 make sure you havn't screwed the throttle stop screws in to far on the side of the carbs

3 check to make sure that the throttle slides are not stuck half way up the carb body

4 check that there are no air leaks between the carb and the cylinder head ( carbs are sitting properly in the rubbers)

Chances are that it is one of the above that is causing your problem

Thanks! So far I only understand recommendation #4...so I'll try that one first...most likely I'll have to do some research to find options 1 thru 3 in laymans terms or drawn out in crayon. (yes, I am that new to the motorcycle game) :D

• 3 weeks later...

5. The throttle cable only affects the right carb. Then there is like a tongue that goes to the left carb. The tongue sits between a screw with a spring and unremovable bolt looking thing with a spring. Make sure the carbs are open the same. You would have to take the carbs off to check this but as you turn that screw the left carb opens and shuts, but the right one will stay the same. So maybe the left one is open more then the right one or vice versa. Normally if this is messed up, the messed up side's piston sounds like it is misfiring or not firing, kind of like its getting dragged along for a ride.

5. The throttle cable only affects the right carb. Then there is like a tongue that goes to the left carb. The tongue sits between a screw with a spring and unremovable bolt looking thing with a spring. Make sure the carbs are open the same. You would have to take the carbs off to check this but as you turn that screw the left carb opens and shuts, but the right one will stay the same. So maybe the left one is open more then the right one or vice versa. Normally if this is messed up, the messed up side's piston sounds like it is misfiring or not firing, kind of like its getting dragged along for a ride.

I would start out by adjusting the idle speed down and see what happens. It could be as simple as setting the idle speed and having things be fine. I have not heard of the carbs getting out of sync to much unless they are taken apart from each other.