2001 YZF 600R in garage for 3 years with gasoline. :(

AlexZ
This post is 5933 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. Here is my situation:

I have a YZF 600R standing in my garage for over 3 years. It was working fine before and had no issues. Now, it only runs on chocke and will shut down if I open the throttle or turn the chocke off.

Basically, can't ride it, barely idles. From what I read, most likely problem is of course the carbs and the old gasoline.

So, I want to clean the carbs. How should I clean them? I took off the gas tank and took off the air filter. I'm staring at the carbs right now, now what?

carbs.jpg

Please be aware that I'm rather new to working on my bike. For instance, I forgot about the gas shut off valve so when I disconnected the gas line from the pump, 3 gallons of old gas started spilling and I ended up stinking up the house. I'm not all thumbs, but would appreciate more of a step by step instruction. :)

Thank you all again.

- AlexZ

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Alex, not familiar with the technicalities of the model. However i can say that every year when i start my suzuki bandit up in springtime after its winter rest it runs exactly as you say. if i open the throttle it stalls. All i do is let it thoroughly warm up on tickover and gradually as it warms up i can start to open throttle more and more. after 20 mins or so its running like a good un :D

Change all the gas and try it you might be lucky

Just drain the old petrol out replace with some new fuel and put a squirt of fuel cleaner in the tank, it's worth a try and will probably be fine.

Since you have the airbox off you might as well replace the spark plugs too.

Hi Alex,

since you have gone this far you may as well remove the carbs and give them a clean ! start by disconnecting the throttle and choke cables followed by the fuel and overflow pipes,next step is to remove the carbs from the bike either by undoing the jubilee clips that hold the carbs to the outlet tract rubbers or the jubilee clips that hold the rubbers to the cylinder head , whichever is the easiest.

Place the carbs on the workbench bearing in mind that fuel will drain out of them once you turn them upside down?

start by removing the float bowl on No 1 carb and clean any sediment out of it next remove the fuel float and fuel needle and blow out the fuel passage followed by the main jet and the idle jet. do these one at a time and make sure that they are clear of any petrol varnish residue ( blow out with a low pressure air line ) All holes should be clear to see through !

There should be a screw on the very bottom of the carb as you look at the float bowl that is the air/mixture screw this is sprung loaded, before you remove this one, screw it in untill it makes contact counting how many turns it takes usually about 2 to 2 and a half then remove it and blow out the passage way.when you reinstall it remember to screw it all the way in then screw it out the right amount of turns.

Refit all the above in reverse order then carry out the same prcedure on each of the other carbs in turn.

Refit your carbs to your bike check your fuel lines for any residue and if you find any replace the fuel lines as if you dont all the work you have just done will be pointless because as soon as you run clean fuel through these lines this residue will be carried straight back into the carbs and gum them up again! If you have an inline fuel filter replace this as well

Good luck and happy rideing

Thanks for all the advise. So far I have done the easiest thing, I sprayed down the throats of each carb the carb cleaner. The air valves now finally open (when I throttled before, only one would move while 3 would be stuck). So, it turns on with a choke and RPMs go as far as I want them to, revs nicely.

While turned on, I sprayd a lot of carb cleaner in while opening and closing the throttle. Finally, it is alive, sort of. When I take choke off, it dies. Can't idle nor will turn on, even though the engine is hot, while choke is off.

Is there a way to fix this without cleaning out all the carbs and having to take them off? Or am I still looking into removing carbs and cleaning them?

I also need to change my filter and oil, about 4 years old!

So today I figured out how to remove the carbs from the engine and took them apart. I took out the fuel jet and saw that the two left carbs were almost fully plugged up by crystal like substance (fuel?).

dirty.jpg

So I cleaned them with carb cleaner, made sure all holes you can see through. I cleaned everything else I thought I needed to. Here is what I was looking at when I took out the bottom of the carb and the floats:

open.jpg

So I sprayed all of that with carb cleaner, wiped it, blew compressed air inside all the holes. The only thing I unscrewed from there was the center jet (top pic), which was very dirty.

Now, I put everything in again, turned the bike on, and it still does not idle. It works fine on choke. When I try to throttle a little, it dies. If I open the throttle it revs up. So idle to about 3.5K RPM can not be maintained. Have I missed somewhere to clean? Were there any other jets I was supposed to unscrew and clean out?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online