Fazer 600 Front Forks

Pablo68
This post is 5817 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys,

Just new and tried search but couldn't find anything. I have a 2001 fzs600 with very corroded forks and was wondering if the forks from a 2004 onwards Fazer would fit. Other than that the bike is great and i'm looking forward to spending money on it. :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 1 month later...

Yamaha in their wisdom only gave the front forks of the old Fazers a thin laquer protective coating which, after a few years getting bashed by stone-chips and wet weather, usually end up looking mottled and ugly with patches of white. It's not true corrosion as such because the forks themselves aren't degrading, just the laquer. The good news is that if you are prepared to put in a bit of time and effort, you don't have to 'fork' out (groan) on replacement parts. The laquer can be stripped back, and the alloy beneath polished to perfection. You can (with care) do this in situ without removing the forks (albeit removal makes the process a hell of a lot easier). Instead, remove the front mudguard, unbolt the front brake calipers and (supporting their weight with bungee rope) tie them back out of the way. Cover up the front wheel and surrounding body-parts, as it's now time to get busy with Nitromoors (paint stripper) on the laquer! Sounds scarier than it actually is, but has no adverse effects on the forks themselves. It does take time, but can be helped along with fine gauge wire-wool and very fine sandpaper. Next step is to load fresh wire-wool with Autosol, and use this to rub away at the exposed alloy, while periodically cleaning & buffing down the forks with clean cloths. Common sense should prevail, and you'll soon get the hang of achieving best results. The end product is well worth the effort! Two nights hard graft turned the shabby forks of my otherwise immaculate year 2000 Fazer into a mirror finish, which are easily kept pristine through the usual motorbike cleaning regime. On the topic of common sense, anyone carrying this process out should take the usual precautions when working with paint stripper - well ventilated area, avoid skin contact . . .blah, blah, blah! Hope this posting helps?

Many thanks Headhunter that's exactly the info i was looking for. I'll give it a try when i get the chance.

Glad it helped. :D You'll find that most of the engine casing covers are also alloy, so the black paint can be stripped back and polished up just like the forks. (Nice to know if your scuff one of them, or your bike is just showing it's age!). I can try and get a few pics uploaded if anyone is interested?

I would advise that after highly polishing the forks, to give them a coat of laquer. This will reduce the amount of work needed in the future.

Nope. Not necessary (and just reinstating the original cause of the problem). The odd polish-up with autosol or the like keeps everything peachy. Stripped down my forks 2 years ago, didn't relaquer, and have never had any worries since! :P

• 2 months later...