Checking oil '83 xs400

Chicken
This post is 5856 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone,

I bought an old Maxim that runs great. Just needed some TLC and cosmetic work. It's my first bike and has been quite a learning experience. My question is this...when I take the oil cap off shouldn't the dipstick be attached to the cap? There's nothing there so I'm a bit perplexed about how to check the oil. I don't have a manual. So I don't know quite how to change the oil either. I just want to make sure the oil doesn't get to low. Thanks in advance!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi everyone,

I bought an old Maxim that runs great. Just needed some TLC and cosmetic work. It's my first bike and has been quite a learning experience. My question is this...when I take the oil cap off shouldn't the dipstick be attached to the cap? There's nothing there so I'm a bit perplexed about how to check the oil. I don't have a manual. So I don't know quite how to change the oil either. I just want to make sure the oil doesn't get to low. Thanks in advance!

I think there is a sight glass on yours under the brake pedal

I think there is a sight glass on yours under the brake pedal

Thanks Drewpy! You were right. There is a window there. So is the oil level ok as long as I can see fluid through that window??

There should be a top line and a bottom line. You want it in between those.

And make sure it's on the center stand when you check it. If you fill it to between the lines with it on the side stand it will be way overfilled.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online