xs400 burning oil

redd
This post is 5834 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Bike started chucking out smoke on tickover . quite a bit really. and only on one pot. Plug looks good though and

colour indicates good running engine, so whats the problem. Anyone know. Is it the rings on the piston. valve oil stem seal...

ive got a spare cylinder head in case its the seals. But will have to order some rings if this is the problem...

Any help be good... cheers...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Bike started chucking out smoke on tickover . quite a bit really. and only on one pot. Plug looks good though and

colour indicates good running engine, so whats the problem. Anyone know. Is it the rings on the piston. valve oil stem seal...

ive got a spare cylinder head in case its the seals. But will have to order some rings if this is the problem...

Any help be good... cheers...

blue smoke or black?

yea its blue, you can smell the oil and i rekon every car following me, :D

cheers

has the bike been standing for long? as the piston rings can stick and cause smokin'

if its smoky on startup and goes/lessens when warm i suspect valve guides. if its really smoky all the time especially when you shut off the throttle and bang it back on then its the rings. check the breather pipe if there is any blow from the gear box

think the bike had stood a while. so its possible the rings mite be stuck. or its scored the barrel and worn the rings out.

suppose be best to strip and investigate. is it easy enough to get the gasket and rings? you wouldnt no the prices of this gear...

cheers 4 advice...

think the bike had stood a while. so its possible the rings mite be stuck. or its scored the barrel and worn the rings out.

suppose be best to strip and investigate. is it easy enough to get the gasket and rings? you wouldnt no the prices of this gear...

cheers 4 advice...

should be ok, the rings should free off (ungum) by using the bike regulary.

still get gasket kits from yam (motoward/motogrid/granby's etc) I think you can still get rings, but I got mine from ebay cheap. check fro overbore sizes before ring purchase!!

nice 1.

checked pistons. I have spare top end. But will need honed and rings to...

They are stamped inside yamaha / Art / 2 / Also they measure 54mm... Will this be standard size...

nice 1.

checked pistons. I have spare top end. But will need honed and rings to...

They are stamped inside yamaha / Art / 2 / Also they measure 54mm... Will this be standard size...

erm.. 55mm is a 250cc piston!!! 69mm is a 400

what is your engine number?

that be a strange one. suppose its possible the spare engines the 250

*4G6-005405

cheers

that's a 250 engine

nice 1... that was lucky. would have posted on here askin why me bikes lost power :blink: . 150cc to be exact :lol:

i will see what the origionals like n take from there. or if anyone has spare barrels n pistons for sale :) ( 07779910366 ) gi me a text and i will call back... cheers...

ta for help drewpy...

nice 1... that was lucky. would have posted on here askin why me bikes lost power :blink: . 150cc to be exact :lol:

i will see what the origionals like n take from there. or if anyone has spare barrels n pistons for sale :) ( 07779910366 ) gi me a text and i will call back... cheers...

ta for help drewpy...

try here

http://www.yamahaspares.uk.com/XS250.html

know it says 250 but there is a new 400 barrel there!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online