R6 what's it worth

cannon440
This post is 5963 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've got a mint 2001 r6 with an engine that needs repair or replacing due to a defect in one of the bores - decision time is do I pay £500+ to get a replacment engine /fix the current engine or sell the bike as spares/repair.

The question is how much is a an R6 worth with an engine in it's current state???

On the engine front - if you had the choice between repairing the current engine (15k miles and v.clean) or buying a used engine (like hens teeth and cost £500 and up) what is the preferred option?

If I rebuild the current engine it'll have a total rebuild including new pistons/rings, gaskets etc. although this will be around £700.

Thanks,

Peter

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Personally, if the engine has only 15k on it I'd have your current engine rebuilt (by a reputable company), who's to say if you buy a replacement you're not going to be buying something with alot more miles and a problem either already existent of lurking round the corner.

But it's all down to economics I suppose and if you can replace the engine for £500 it gives you the chance to strip you existing engine and sell it for spares recouping some of the cost.

PRO's and CON'S both ways.

An R6 of that vintage without a good engine won't be worth much more than £800/£1000.

As previously stated it's much better to spend out on your engine and know where you are than spend as much on an unknown quantity ;)

I personally wouldnt chance buying a 2nd hand engine which could just as easily got pop soon after, much better to get yours done

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online