My 1978 Yamaha XS400

Jonesy_10
This post is 5835 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey everyone. Just thought I'd share my project. I'm 16 years old, and picked this up as a first bike for $150. It's come a long way since these pictures from the spring.

Picture006.jpg

Picture008.jpg

The bike wouldnt start when I got it. I had the carbs apart, picked up some carb kits for it. Had to play around with the float levels alot. We ran into one problem, one of the floats had a small hole in it, and was therefore full of gas, so the carb kept flooding. I've soldered it shut, but I don't think it'll hold up for too long. Any ideas on where to get a new float for this bike?

Next, I got a new master cylinder kit, got the front brake bled, and it works fine. The rear brake is a different story, as the line is plugged.

I think the clutch is worn out in it, it doesnt make contact until the clutch is nearly all the way out. I'm also painting the bike, a buddy of mine is amazing at spraying, so he's doing it for me. Basically the only thing I need to do to put it on the road, is get some insurance. Anyone know of a place in Ontario that does cheap insurance for teens?

I'll get some more photos once I get it painted. Let me know what you think!

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just a quick update on the bike.

I just replaced the headset bearings, as well as the fork seals. Now the bike needs 2 carb floats, as well as a front tyre.

Let me know what you think.

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

looking good, keep at it and you'll soon have a finished bike.

watch out you don't over polish anything as it will stand out and the next thing you know the bikes all stripped down coz that shiny part didn't look right on its own!!! :babyha:

Looking good.

I have the same bike, bought it in 1989 when I was 15... I still have it.

Right, I just spent about 7 hours today working on it. New float in the carb, new spark plugs, and guess what. It runs like a charm.. It started up right away, and I had it idling for over 10 minutes, with no problems at all. I was pretty happy, after all the work I've put into it! Anyway, I had both wheels off, and painted the inside of the brake rotors. Got both brakes bled, working fine. 2 new air filters on the way, should be in this week. All I need now is a new chain and front tyre, and she's good to go.

I'm planning on painting it on Wednesday, as long as the weather is nice, as my friend who's helping me paints outside. I will try to get some pictures of the tank and panels up after it's done.

Feedback is great!

Well, painting went amazingly. I'm super happy about how it turned out! Here's a picture , but I haven't had a chance to clean up the badges yet.

IMG_0935.jpg

Now for the unfortunate part. The bike, once again, isn't running. Well it is, but only on the right cylinder. And I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong. We definitely have gas, definitely have air, definitely have spark, and definitely have compression.

If you have any ideas at all, PLEASE let me know. Also, let me know what you think of the paint job.

Thanks!

real nice paint job sir ,

take your time , sit back , study and think about it ...

and you'll soon have it sorted ;)

Well, painting went amazingly. I'm super happy about how it turned out! Here's a picture , but I haven't had a chance to clean up the badges yet.

Now for the unfortunate part. The bike, once again, isn't running. Well it is, but only on the right cylinder. And I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong. We definitely have gas, definitely have air, definitely have spark, and definitely have compression.

If you have any ideas at all, PLEASE let me know. Also, let me know what you think of the paint job.

Thanks!

might have picked up crud from the tank, you did use an inline petrol filter?

if ok, double check points, timing and no air leaks via inlet rubber (bung not fallen off?)

might have picked up crud from the tank, you did use an inline petrol filter?

if ok, double check points, timing and no air leaks via inlet rubber (bung not fallen off?)

I know it's not crud from the tank, because the tank isnt on the bike. The petcock is seized shut, so right now we have the good old hose and funnel. But I definitely will pick up a filter, just to be on the safe side. I'm away this weekend, but will probably have a play around with it next weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it ran today. I had it around the block a few times. Who knows if it will start tomorrow though...

Most recent pics here:

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

Before I painted it, I thought it was too black. Now I think its too blue! A place near me said it'd only be $40 to do a pin stripe on the tank.. I'm seriously considering it.