New Project - Need Help/Will not start

ktabler
This post is 5878 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I purchased a Virago 500 ($200US) over the weekend and I have been trying to get it started all week. Here is what I have done.

1. Pulled Tank and Cleaned

2. Pulled Carbs and Cleaned Twice (Not very dirty but did see some trash)

3. New Plugs (Autolite 64, gap 30)

Note: Compression (both cylinders Cold) 125 PSI

I can get the bike to fire with using starter fluid or a squirt of gas thru in to carb. So I believe that is telling me that the ignition is fine and none of the safety switchs are failing . I am getting fuel to the bowl, so that is telling me that everything from that carb input to the tank is working fine. It seems to me that the carb is not allowing fuel into the motor. I have verified that the fuel lines and vac lines are properly routed. When the bike fires on the starter fluid, i can see the Diaphragm/Vacuum Piston move back. I am using a battery charger on boost (60 Amps), since the battery is weak. Trying to put the bare amount of money into the bike before I make sure the bike is mechanically sound. Another thing that is going on is the starter is not staying engaged, but it does stay engaged long enough to turn the motor over a few times. One thing that I'm seeing on the service manual is the Pilot Screw, but I can not seem to locate it. Is it deep in the hole below the Vacuum Piston Cover?

Any information that this forum could provide would be great. This is my first bike and I'm ready to learn to ride.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I just got one of these working myself. 2 items that really stoped mine. First make sure your plugs are non-resistor type. They will keep your bike from running. Also check your float level. Someone had gotten into mine and set the float level so low it would not get gas. I would check those 2 things by what you are describing.

Good luck

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online