89 FZR Clunking noise

89FIZZER
This post is 5952 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone, just wanted to see if anyone would have some insight into an issue that Im having with my 1989 FZR600.

I bought the bike real cheap with a few sheared parts. The story was that the guys friend was doing wheelie when all of a sudden the chain snapped on it. It came through and sheared the end of the clutch release pin and shifter linkage. I have the bike running perfectly again but when its idling you can hear an intermittent clunking noise coming from somewhere in the transmission. As far as I can tell the bike goes into 1st and second gear, I havent had it out on the road yet to tell if it will go into the rest of the gears. Also, the clutch is real hard to disengage.

I know Im being pretty general but this is my first bike and have very little idea as to what to look at. Im a mechanical engineer with a lot of experience with cars so dont be afraid to get technical with me, lol.

Thanks a ton for any ideas/responses

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)