Help w/ '78 XS400 round 2

roscoe_bass
This post is 5879 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm the one that posted a week and a half ago about my bike running for a short distance and then dying. It wouldn't want to start back up after that. Here's what I've done/checked and what I've found out.

I checked the voltage at 3000 rpms. It read 14.6 volts. I cleaned the fuel tank out w/ KBS coatings. The tank completely looks brand new. The petcock was full of crud. I cleaned it out. Then I cleaned out the carburetors. They were only dirty where the fuel lines run in. They were also full of crud. I cleaned them completely out. I can't put the fuel tank back on for two more days (it has to cure for a total of 4 days). Before I pulled the tank, I let the bike run for several minutes. Then I pulled the spark plugs. One was extremely hot and black. The other one was just warm, and it was also semi-wet. It was an off-white color. The side w/ the black plug seemed alot hotter than the other side. I don't know what's up w/ that.

this Thursday I will get to put the tank back on and see what happens. Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online