1988 fz600

wil6488
This post is 5776 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi

my fz has been sat for a bit and when i put it in gear it stalls and when i pull the clutch in and try and start it the oil light comes on when i press the start button could it be the clutch stiking or wireing i mean if it was the clutch if when i put it in gear it sould not stall right ? i anyone knows or has had this problem before please help thankyou will

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi

my fz has been sat for a bit and when i put it in gear it stalls and when i pull the clutch in and try and start it the oil light comes on when i press the start button could it be the clutch stiking or wireing i mean if it was the clutch if when i put it in gear it sould not stall right ? i anyone knows or has had this problem before please help thankyou will

Sounds like the sidestand switch is sticking. It's mean to kill the bike if the sidestand is down and you put the bike in gear. If you put it back in neutral and it starts then that's where you need to look first. If you get the sidestand working and then it runs once started and put in gear but won't start with it already in gear and the clutch pulled in then the clutch switch is bad (located on the bottom of the master cylinder).

You may have both issues so tackle each one separately starting with the sidestand.

Sean

Sounds like the sidestand switch is sticking. It's mean to kill the bike if the sidestand is down and you put the bike in gear. If you put it back in neutral and it starts then that's where you need to look first. If you get the sidestand working and then it runs once started and put in gear but won't start with it already in gear and the clutch pulled in then the clutch switch is bad (located on the bottom of the master cylinder).

You may have both issues so tackle each one separately starting with the sidestand.

Sean

the 2 wires that leave the side stand switch have been cut and i dont have a clue were they are ment to go as ive not long had the bike and the guy who had it before me was a bad at diy and thats why i think it was that cheap could you help me agian please as to were the wires go thankyou for you help so far will

the 2 wires that leave the side stand switch have been cut and i dont have a clue were they are ment to go as ive not long had the bike and the guy who had it before me was a bad at diy and thats why i think it was that cheap could you help me agian please as to were the wires go thankyou for you help so far will

Normally the sidestand switch is routed up and rearward to a 2 wire plug in but yours is a bit different. From the looks of the microfiche (http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/parts/home.aspx)

it looks like you have the switch with it's two wires going into an extension harness (all routed forward) which in turn plugs in to the main harness. If you can find the main harness connection point you can jumped the terminals to bypass the switch for now. Then you can order the part you need to fix it and get it back to normal.

Sean

I forgot to mention. I may have spare parts for that bike laying around too. I have two FZ600 chassis's in various condition. I won't be the cheapest you can find but won't misrepresent anything either.

Sean

• 1 month later...

hi

hi,when trying to start bike with clutch in and in gear your fuel and oil light will come on it is saftey cut out,return to nautral all will be ok ,as for your clutch if the bike is not warm ed up this can happen some times,as it does on mine.or clutch plates have dryed out or stuck together ,so clutch to be stripped down and soaked in oil and put back in same order and re align clutch plate half curcle with clutch housing two dots,and pressure plate dot with inner clutch dot, not a big job , just check the markings. hope all this help,s ralph uk.

• 3 weeks later...

hi,when trying to start bike with clutch in and in gear your fuel and oil light will come on it is saftey cut out,return to nautral all will be ok ,as for your clutch if the bike is not warm ed up this can happen some times,as it does on mine.or clutch plates have dryed out or stuck together ,so clutch to be stripped down and soaked in oil and put back in same order and re align clutch plate half curcle with clutch housing two dots,and pressure plate dot with inner clutch dot, not a big job , just check the markings. hope all this help,s ralph uk.

thankyou for your help wires was missing so sorted it out and sold it as have found other bike

thankyou for your help wires was missing so sorted it out and sold it as have found other bike

Did you sell it to me like a month ago?? lol. Your'e not from connecticut are you? I just bought an 88 fZ 600 and am also having trouble starting it. I am really happy restoring it though, anyway; does anyone know what type of oil it takes SAE 10W30??? Obviously i didn't get a manual with the bike. :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online