Advice for new owner of YZF600 Thundercat

Scoty
This post is 5960 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, Ive just bought my first 'big' bike which is a 2001 Yzf600 Thundercat. I love the bike (apart from the clunky gearbox) but could do with a few bits of advice from current or previous owners:

- Firstly, I suspect I'll need new tyres in the next 1000miles or so, any good advice for a good set of all rounders for any weather?

- Silencer, because I live near the coast in Snowdonia, I supect that the standard black silencer may deteriorate quite quickly so I'll probably be putting a new silencer on when I can. At present I'm looking at a stainless or Carbon Blue Flame oval one but after looking at the current silencer, it looks like the fairing is in the way of detaching the small downpipe bit. Any advice on whether the fairing has to come of or not would be greatly appreciated (plus choice of silencer?)

- cleaning, I have owned and ridden some fairly expensive mountain bikes in the last few years and have always cleaned them with 'muc of' with some GT85 sprayed on afterwards (avoiding the disc rotors of course). Is there any particular big 'No' when cleaning motorbikes and any good tried and tested methods that wont damage paint etc?

Finally, any other advice you think a new owner could use, things to look out for and be wary of etc. She seems to be great at the moment as her baptism of fire was 300 miles on sunday from london to snowdonia in horrendous rain, didnt miss a beat and felt superb all the way.

Many thanks, Scott

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online