xj600n Oil issue

echums
This post is 5852 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I just bought a 10 year old (1998) xj 600 n, i rode it back from where I bought it, about 30 miles, pushing it admittedly at times. When I got home and put it on its sidestand, oil started to drip from a tube (could be some kind of dump valve?) at the front of the engine, on top of it. It just looks like a short black tube with an open end. It dripped for about 2 mintues, then stopped. I've ridden it twice since, not so far, not so long, not so fast, but did do about 15-20 miles today. This time, no oil leaked out.

I checked the oil level and it looks like its been filled a bit above the max line.

Could it just be excess oil escaping from the valve when the bike (which hadn't been ridden much) was nice and hot?

Could it be something worse?

Any ideas?

One more thing, for some reason, the start button only works when the bike is in Neutral. Is this normal for these bikes?

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi,

I just bought a 10 year old (1998) xj 600 n, i rode it back from where I bought it, about 30 miles, pushing it admittedly at times. When I got home and put it on its sidestand, oil started to drip from a tube (could be some kind of dump valve?) at the front of the engine, on top of it. It just looks like a short black tube with an open end. It dripped for about 2 mintues, then stopped. I've ridden it twice since, not so far, not so long, not so fast, but did do about 15-20 miles today. This time, no oil leaked out.

I checked the oil level and it looks like its been filled a bit above the max line.

Could it just be excess oil escaping from the valve when the bike (which hadn't been ridden much) was nice and hot?

Could it be something worse?

Any ideas?

One more thing, for some reason, the start button only works when the bike is in Neutral. Is this normal for these bikes?

Thanks.

Your oil issue could be anything, without knowing precisley were it came from its hard to give an answer. As for the starter switch....Would you want to start your bike in gear?.... Its quite normal not to be able to start it with side stand down, in gear etc.. Just make sure that

A: maybe you should do an oil and filter change, so you know exactly how much oil (and the right stuff) is in it

B: Check that your side stand switch works properly (theirs nothing like setting off and the first corner you come to, an almighty DINK from under you as the stand hits the floor)

Sounds like the bike wants a good checking over before its ridden any distance. Let us know how you get on.

On the point of Not being able to start in gear (clutch engaged), I have the same problem on my Divvy 600 (98) and so far I have not had any positive feed back on that other that a possible clutch switch fault.

This can be a little frustrating having stalled and trying to find Neutral to get moving again in a hurry and looking silly padding to the kerb

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online