1973 TX starter problem

jxnslotcar
This post is 5826 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi and thank you in advance. I just got this bike and it runs great once you get t started. The problem is the starter drive keeps kicking out. I have a 1978 XS650 with the same problem-sounds like a bunch of marbles until it actually kicks in and turns over. XSmike.com sells a kit for the problem for the XS650. I am wondering if this is the same setup as the TX500. On the XS650,it is a problem with the spring behind the clutch basket. The spring is too weak to keep the starter drive kicked in and so it grinds and sounds like a bunch of marbles.I have not taken the right side cover off yet,thought I would ask if it is the same as the XS650 before I take it apart.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi and thank you in advance. I just got this bike and it runs great once you get t started. The problem is the starter drive keeps kicking out. I have a 1978 XS650 with the same problem-sounds like a bunch of marbles until it actually kicks in and turns over. XSmike.com sells a kit for the problem for the XS650. I am wondering if this is the same setup as the TX500. On the XS650,it is a problem with the spring behind the clutch basket. The spring is too weak to keep the starter drive kicked in and so it grinds and sounds like a bunch of marbles.I have not taken the right side cover off yet,thought I would ask if it is the same as the XS650 before I take it apart.

your not too wrong when you say marbles. the starter drive behind the rotor works by having 3 small dowls which are sprung in towards the crank and are at an angle so they can free run when the starter turns off and the engine fires up.

Its these buggers that flat off over time and start to slip. you need to get new dowls and springs from yamaha (you need 3)

this relates to the xs400 and I'm sure they are the same for the 500.

your not too wrong when you say marbles. the starter drive behind the rotor works by having 3 small dowls which are sprung in towards the crank and are at an angle so they can free run when the starter turns off and the engine fires up.

Its these buggers that flat off over time and start to slip. you need to get new dowls and springs from yamaha (you need 3)

Well,thank you. It is different than the XS650. The lower case looks quite the same as xs650. I am glad I did not take it aprt until I get the parts. Thank you drewpy

Well,thank you. It is different than the XS650. The lower case looks quite the same as xs650. I am glad I did not take it aprt until I get the parts. Thank you drewpy

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online