Refurbishing exhaust box

Spuggy
This post is 5959 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I'm new at refurbishing motorbikes but would like to give my XJ600 a face lift. I want to start with the twin exhaust cans as they are looking a bit rusty in places. Should I be looking to get them chrome plated or are there other, and perhaps cheaper, alternatives. I've had a quote from an electroplating company which was £250.

Regards,

Spuggy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi,

I'm new at refurbishing motorbikes but would like to give my XJ600 a face lift. I want to start with the twin exhaust cans as they are looking a bit rusty in places. Should I be looking to get them chrome plated or are there other, and perhaps cheaper, alternatives. I've had a quote from an electroplating company which was £250.

Regards,

Spuggy

cheapest way would be to get a large cardboard box and open it out, then fold in the centre and wrap around the bike from the front, carefully cutting out holes for the headlamp and handlebars etc. Finally finishng off by careful use of sissors and selotape. Make the end into a bat wing shape like a bat-mobile!

Add some stickers from the Panini collection range which you can get from newsagents all over Britain, for that extra personal touch.

just my take on things

cheapest way would be to get a large cardboard box and open it out, then fold in the centre and wrap around the bike from the front, carefully cutting out holes for the headlamp and handlebars etc. Finally finishng off by careful use of sissors and selotape. Make the end into a bat wing shape like a bat-mobile!

Add some stickers from the Panini collection range which you can get from newsagents all over Britain, for that extra personal touch.

just my take on things

Thanks for your advice. I gave it a try but it didn't stand up to the British weather I'm affraid. Went all soggy and limp and was not much use to man nor beast. A bit like your take on things really.

just my take on things

Thanks for your advice. I gave it a try but it didn't stand up to the British weather I'm affraid. Went all soggy and limp and was not much use to man nor beast. A bit like your take on things really.

And its one all and everything to play for :D

Hi,

Regards,

Spuggy

Where in Derbyshire?, I'm in Glossop!

What year and model Diversion?

LOL I forgot to mention the vaseline

Where in Derbyshire?, I'm in Glossop!

What year and model Diversion?

South Derbyshire. On the border with Leicestershire and Nottinghamshire. Yes, I was hoping for some useful advice from this forum but there you go. You have to take the bad with good I guess. Have you any suggestions. I just felt that the quotes I am getting are around hundred quid more than I was expecting. Also I'm trying to get the engine out so I can get the frame resprayed but can't remove the bottom mounting bolt. It doesn't explain it well in the manual but I assume there should be a bolt head on one end but this is missing. I just need confirmation really so I can try a different way of getting it out.

Cheers

Give them time spuggy, there are people on this forum with divvys, im sure you'll get the answers you want, they may be away, after all its bank holiday.

Drewpy is only having a bit of fun, dont take offense by it mate.

I was looking for an exhaust, again what year and model?

Give them time spuggy, there are people on this forum with divvys, im sure you'll get the answers you want, they may be away, after all its bank holiday.

Drewpy is only having a bit of fun, dont take offense by it mate.

I was looking for an exhaust, again what year and model?

No offence taken. So was I.

It's a 1994 XJ600 with twin exhaust.

Cheers

Twin pattern silencer

http://shop.wemoto.com/pictures.dyn?u=2147932qqq5828132

£188, not sure about postage

Thanks for you help with this one.

I ordered the silencers todays. I couldn't find them cheaper than this anywhere else so thanks again.

Regards,

Spuggy

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online