Changing an R1 Battery

Rubislaw
This post is 5817 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, my 2006 R1 battery has just died and about to change but the tank is in the way of getting out the old one ..!! Would appreciate some notes on how to remove and refit the battery !! Thanks in advance

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Remove the 2 Allen head bolts at the front of the tank, remove the driver's seat, pivot the tank up out of the way (there's no need to remove the nut and bolt at the back of the tank), use a prop rod to hold the tank up out of the way, remove the 10 mm bolts holding the battery hold down in place, remove the 10 mm bolts attaching the leads to the battery (negative first), put in new battery (connect positive first), follow steps in reverse.

ER,.............. on a 2006 R1 (or any other 5VY model) there is only 1 Allen bolt at the front, and you have to take the two knee panels off to gain access to the two bolts (1 each side) that attach the tank to the frame.

THEN you can tackle the rear mount removal to access the battery.

If you have an alarm fitted (like a Datatool 3 or 4) you will need to supply a constant feed to the + and - connections other wise you are going to need a hearing test afterwards, ;)I SAID HOWS YOUR HEARING ;)

Get, beg, borrow or otherwise a "jump start" pack, or battery and leads, and connect a temporary supply to the battery leads BEFORE you undo the terminal bolts.

:oDO NOT ATTEMPT TO START THE BIKE IN THIS CONDITION AS YOU WILL MOST LIKELY FRY SOMETHING EXPENSIVE :o:angry:

The supply is just there to fool the alarm. B)

Didn't mean to step on any toes, 1 allen bolt at the front..no big deal. No mention of an alarm. He just wanted to know how to change his battery. Being a Technician for the past 24 years, and with Yamaha the past 10 years, and now a Service Manager at a Yamaha Dealership, sometimes the model years run together in your head. They're all basically the same. Seeing as how he was going to attempt to change his own battery, I figured I didn't need to spell everything out, like removing the knee panels. There's an old saying with the acronym....KISS. I'll just keep my mouth shut from now on. :rolleyes:

Rubber side down people. Be safe and have fun. I think I'll stay on my own side of the ocean. Peace!