If you can sing the praises of XS360's, Let me hear your song!

Mike's76-XS360
This post is 5625 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Yamaha XS36o owners;

Last fall I purchased a 1976 XS360 for $1000.00 CAD in hopes of trading up this spring. For a number of reasons trading up does not look like an option. The bike is in decent shape mechanically. It starts instantly in all weather. the transmission shifts smooth. It cruises at 55 mph (90km) at around 5500 rpm and gets about 124 miles per tank. I find it fun to ride as well. The problem is I still yearn for something bigger, newer, and more beautiful. What I am looking for is someone to tell me how lucky I am to have what I got. This would carry even more weight if it were from an XS360 owner. Please help me to fall more in love and more proud of my plain, old, bike.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

First off you have to get rid of the notion that having something newer and bigger is somehow more cool. It sounds like your 360 is giving you good service and you say it is fun to ride. You should stick with it. The attraction to this bike is the coolness of riding a 32 year old bike and the adventures you have with it. Sure, to most, it has typical bland styling, but have you recognized the unique slab sided styling on your XS?

I have a '77 XS360 that I bought as a project in the winter and it will be ready to ride next summer. I usually license two bikes. I have a newer cooler bigger bike to ride, but I am more looking forward to riding my XS360 next summer and so should you.

First off you have to get rid of the notion that having something newer and bigger is somehow more cool. It sounds like your 360 is giving you good service and you say it is fun to ride. You should stick with it. The attraction to this bike is the coolness of riding a 32 year old bike and the adventures you have with it. Sure, to most, it has typical bland styling, but have you recognized the unique slab sided styling on your XS?

I have a '77 XS360 that I bought as a project in the winter and it will be ready to ride next summer. I usually license two bikes. I have a newer cooler bigger bike to ride, but I am more looking forward to riding my XS360 next summer and so should you.

well said

• 3 months later...

well said

Howdy. I recently purchased a '77 XS360, and absolutely LOVE her! Handles great, looks great, simple but well though out design...what's not to love? This is my second bike. I had a KZ550 years ago that I could compare the XS to. I most certainly did NOT love that KZ...heavy, ugly, crappy handling, yadda yadda.

Hello Drewpy, I spied a few posts by you, and seems to be you're the man to ask about XS360 maintenance.

So....

1. Engine oil: 10w40 or 20w50? And, synthetic or blended?

2. Fork oil, what to use?

3. Where to get a chain and sprocket set for it, and is it a good idea to change sprocket size?

I love this bike so much. I initially bought it with the idea of retraining myself to ride, and then trading up for a GS750 or something, but now have my doubts about that idea, coz the XS is so sweet and fun to ride!

Howdy. I recently purchased a '77 XS360, and absolutely LOVE her! Handles great, looks great, simple but well though out design...what's not to love? This is my second bike. I had a KZ550 years ago that I could compare the XS to. I most certainly did NOT love that KZ...heavy, ugly, crappy handling, yadda yadda.

Hello Drewpy, I spied a few posts by you, and seems to be you're the man to ask about XS360 maintenance.

So....

1. Engine oil: 10w40 or 20w50? And, synthetic or blended?

2. Fork oil, what to use?

3. Where to get a chain and sprocket set for it, and is it a good idea to change sprocket size?

I love this bike so much. I initially bought it with the idea of retraining myself to ride, and then trading up for a GS750 or something, but now have my doubts about that idea, coz the XS is so sweet and fun to ride!

I've tried 10w 40 and didn't like it (or rather the engine didn't) i use 20w 50 semi synthetic , its probably a bit OTT but I only change my oil once a year so this oil stays clean throughout and doesn't slip the clutch. (millars sport)

fork oil, I use 20w (I'm 16 something stone )

chain and sprockets from ebay the cheapest, or motogrid, bikebandit in USA. for 360 I would keep to the standard gearing!

drewps

Don't be hankering after a 'plastic rocket', (no offence meant to plastic rocket riders who may be reading this).

Everyone has thier own styles and tastes but I can't help thinking modern manufacturers are all following each other like sheep, and that's both bikes and cars.

Whenever I see any pre 1990 bike I always try to get a good look at it because they are a thing to admire, even the unloved ones. I think back then despite making basically the same UJM they all managed to put their own slant on it,

Today all fully faired bikes rarely differ in anything but colour.

You should savour every moment on your XS360 because you have something exclusive in todays humdrum world, enjoy it, I know I would.

All the best and safe riding.

7omly

Oh I forgot to mention, if anyone gets the chance to visit the National Motorcycle Museum (just outside of Coventry) Take it.

My son and I did and it was a great day. All of the machines on display are British but they are mouthwatering.

Incidentally does anyone know of any motorcycle museums that contain mainly old Japanese bikes.

My son is 25 and has no real knowledge of Japanese machines from 1960 to 1990 and has expressed a desire to see them in the flesh. (He has often expressed a desire to see Angelina Jolie in the flesh but I think I have a more realistic chance with the bikes.

All the best and safe riding

7omly

I've tried 10w 40 and didn't like it (or rather the engine didn't) i use 20w 50 semi synthetic , its probably a bit OTT but I only change my oil once a year so this oil stays clean throughout and doesn't slip the clutch. (millars sport)

fork oil, I use 20w (I'm 16 something stone )

chain and sprockets from ebay the cheapest, or motogrid, bikebandit in USA. for 360 I would keep to the standard gearing!

drewps

Cool, thanks man! Yeh, the manual says 20w50, but the previous owner ran 10/40 in it.

Had to google "stone to pound conversion", haha. What's up with using automatic trans fluid in the forks? The manual mentions it.

Hey Mike, rereading your post, nobody could help you fall in love with your ride. I mean, if you really pine for a bigger & newer bike, you should just go out and get you one. Life's too short, man.

Oh I forgot to mention, if anyone gets the chance to visit the National Motorcycle Museum (just outside of Coventry) Take it.

My son and I did and it was a great day. All of the machines on display are British but they are mouthwatering.

Incidentally does anyone know of any motorcycle museums that contain mainly old Japanese bikes.

My son is 25 and has no real knowledge of Japanese machines from 1960 to 1990 and has expressed a desire to see them in the flesh. (He has often expressed a desire to see Angelina Jolie in the flesh but I think I have a more realistic chance with the bikes.

All the best and safe riding

7omly

go to Stafford show ground in october for the CMM classic bike show, there more bikes there than your legs will allow to visit!!

Mike76,, Keep it !! It is a fun classic bike.. I bought mine two years ago and it has been all fun plus a lot of learning and help from this forum. Drewpy gets the Gold Star for being the Exalted Guru and Grand Pubah as far as I'm concerned on these XS's. I did the fair wear and tear fix up on it after I bought it, fork seals, Ignition coils and condenser , had the carbs cleaned etc.

Here is a picture of my Whizbang :

IMG_3922-2.jpg

Hey, how did you find a pic of my bike? :P

Speaking of pics, how do you post your? Is there a way to post from my computer, or does it have to have a url?

I have my pictures in Photobucket. I select the picture I want to send, Left click the bottom option : IMG code, then right click "copy". Then go to the site you want to post the picture on, then right click "paste".

There are probably better methods, but I'm not much of a computer whiz...

Best regards.... Harv..

I have my pictures in Photobucket. I select the picture I want to send, Left click the bottom option : IMG code, then right click "copy". Then go to the site you want to post the picture on, then right click "paste".

There are probably better methods, but I'm not much of a computer whiz...

Best regards.... Harv..

Hmm, still not working for me.

Well, anyways, here's mine.

Ain't she shweeeet? As you could see, she's just like yours, Harv. Except I carved up the seat a bit, which went from this, to this.

Hmm, still not working for me.

Well, anyways, here's mine.

Ain't she shweeeet? As you could see, she's just like yours, Harv. Except I carved up the seat a bit, which went from this, to this.

Boy, this is a bummer... I can't get your pictures !!. It states that Im not allowed access to your pictures :(

We'll have to figure out a way to get the pics of your super bike on the forum..

Once you have registered on photo bucket, import the photos from the other source in to photo bucket.

On the picture you want to post here, left click the bottom option below the picture"IMG Code", it will hi lite, then right clik and select "copy". Then go to this forum to where you want to post the picture , left clik to set the place for the photo. Right clik and select "paste".

I hope this works g-man. If not, we'll get some help here on the forum.. Best of luck....

Nice idea with the Fuel line filter.

Will replacing the Front Suspension seals fix leaks????????

Yes, fork seals. Mine leaked slightly when I bought the bike and I got good help-info from drewpy on most of my repairs.. He is Da Man !!..

Yes, fork seals. Mine leaked slightly when I bought the bike and I got good help-info from drewpy on most of my repairs.. He is Da Man !!..

thanks bud, just need to find the seals somewhere?