I NEED HELP!!

thundercat6000
This post is 5794 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi!!

I am currently buying a thundercat 600 (03 reg) and i will need it to be restricted down to a 33 BHP. Do you know where i can purchase a restriction kit from? and how much they usually are?

Does anybody know how a restriction kit affects a thundercat aswell?? as in performance, do they struggle etc.

Also do restriction kits damage bikes??

Thanks everyone!!

Shaun

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hiya buddy. i got a 96 thundercat 600 and its restricted. i got the restricters done for me by the dealer i bought the bike off and the kit is £120 which a f**king stitch up considering its only 4 washers!!!! there thin as sh*t as well. excuse the language. anyways restricted thundercats are fine up 2 8000-9000 revs where it just stops and wont rev out at all due to the lack of fuel, when you release the throttle there will be a little increase as the built up fuel behind the washers still has to come through, so watch out for that. speed wise my one was good for 115mph (on an empty dual carriage way) and acceleration is fine as the cat a reasonalbly torquey engine, but obviosly lacking the power that comes from high high revs. when the time comes taking the restricters out is also quite easy, my pals just taken the ones on his SRAD out in literally 10mins. hope this helps, alex

• 3 weeks later...

I was in this boat a while back. Passed my test at 18, bought a Cat at 19. Like hell did I restrict it :P IF you can ride responsibly and you haven't put a tiny number plate on you should be alright.

Thanks for all your replies guys, i bought the bike and it is great!!!!!!! i am begining to think about leaving the restrictor as its to fast and great to spoil!!!

Thanks again!!

Thanks for all your replies guys, i bought the bike and it is great!!!!!!! i am begining to think about leaving the restrictor as its to fast and great to spoil!!!

Thanks again!!

Good good :thumb:

As I said, if you ride responsibly and don't give the fuzz a reason to pull you over then you should be fine. I've only been pulled over once on my Cat and that was for showboating in the middle of town on a Friday Night.

Nice one.

If you DO decide to get a restrictor kit fitted, then my mate Alan at Cadishead Motorcycles does restrictor kits fitted for £200 inc labour - i noticed you're in Manchester........

Cheapest around and a top bloke too.

Also does MOT's on a sunday too.

Cadishead Motorcycles

tell him Goth sent you.........

Just don't ride like a tw@t or get caught - will end up costing you more than 200 quid, and if you're not restricted - you aint insured........

Cheers Goff, ive been to Alans before to have tyres fitted on my DTR - kool guy! found him through my Dad think they knew each other from work or somethin! nice to know he fits them Cheers!!

Alex mate you have to stop telling me about it!! hahaha ive not got my licence yet so your killing me telling me how good they are!!! hahahaha im trying really hard not to take it out for a quick ride! to worried about getting pulled over or getting picked up my a police car camera for not having insurance!!

Do you live near Manchester!?

sweet mate. i just took mine out. watch out for 9000 onwards. the speed and sound is awsome. enjoy

Usually start to pull properly from about 7k. When I've got my stubby on it sounds almost like VTEC kicking in haha.

yeah i think i need a new slip on, thinking remus or scorpion. then hopefully 7000 is the new 9000!

as for taking the bike out with no license etc, i dont think its a good idea. but theres always exceptions. for example 2-3AM on a sunday night/monday morning is the most crazy time for riding with the wind behind u. i went out after seeing the missus and the whole ride was just amazing. didn't see on car so averaged speeds out well up near 3 figures even in urban areas. got home, rinbging in the ears cos of the silence. roll on nest sunday :)

• 3 weeks later...

sweet mate. i just took mine out. watch out for 9000 onwards. the speed and sound is awsome. enjoy

Hello mate, any tips in taking out the restrictor?