Front light query?

Hamlesh
This post is 5831 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Howdy,

First time posting, recently bought a Yamaha XVS 125 Dragstar, my first bike, totally kicks ass, looking forward to passing my full test and getting the 600cc version.

For now I have a query, what would be the best way of fitting more lights to the front of the bike? I do a lot of riding at night, and don't find the front light illuminates enough.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello Hamlesh and welcome to the club.

You are probably going to struggle fitting any additional lights to your 125 because most small bikes have rather puny alternators and very small ampage batteries.

A 600 Divvy only puts out 280 watts at 5,000 rpm and I would imagine your machine will be struggling to make half of that.

All is not lost however.

If you check the haynes manual or the specs for your machine and it doesn't produce sufficient wattage to power extra lamps you can always upgrade your bulb with a better one.

I had a crap headlamp on my Honda CB500 and I put a Phillips X-treme Power H4 bulb in and the light shone twice as far.

They aren't cheap (around £22 for a pair) but because they draw no more current than a standard bulb they are a straight forward swop. Then again a couple of spots will be expensive, a pig to fit and probably end up flattening your battery.

I hope this helps.

All the best

7omly

Howdy,

First time posting, recently bought a Yamaha XVS 125 Dragstar, my first bike, totally kicks ass, looking forward to passing my full test and getting the 600cc version.

For now I have a query, what would be the best way of fitting more lights to the front of the bike? I do a lot of riding at night, and don't find the front light illuminates enough.

I figured that may be a problem (and annoyingly theres no Haynes manual I can find for the bike, only the bigger 600 and 1100 cc versions :huh: ).

Thanks for the pointer on the bulb, I'll track one down over the bank holiday weekend <_<

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online