81 xs400 replacing tachometer cable

bmiracle2
This post is 5841 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a 1981 xs 400 special 2 and I need to replace the tach cable. The cable to the tach is not the problem, it's how to hook it up the the engine block the baffles me. Any help would appreciated.

Just loosen that screw on the top, to the right of the mounting plate. That end of the tach should just pull out of the top.

Just loosen that screw on the top, to the right of the mounting plate. That end of the tach should just pull out of the top.

no take it right out first, as it fits in a metal rebate on the outer cable. The cable will be a bit stiff, twist with pliers first!!

no take it right out first, as it fits in a metal rebate on the outer cable. The cable will be a bit stiff, twist with pliers first!!

so what is the process of installing the new cable, do I just twist it back int the metal rebate, or is there a specific way to insert it back in?

so what is the process of installing the new cable, do I just twist it back int the metal rebate, or is there a specific way to insert it back in?

just make sure the square inner cable end fits in the square socket. the outer cable is round and theres no orientation.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online