Tranny issues I think??

78special
This post is 5840 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys,

I have a problem not sure what exactly. I almost have my project done on chopping down my 78 xs400 Took it out today for a test run just installed new calipers and all new brake lines also a new throttle cable and cleaned the carbs. So I wanted to see how it was running and stopping. Anyway to the problem. I came to a stop and you know when you are stopped in gear with the clutch in your bike will roll backwards as if in neutral, well mine didnt i was trying to back up and well I couldnt even push back but I could roll forward!!!!????? Not sure what this is but it's done it a couple time today not sure what's goin on. Help me out fellas if you have any ideas. Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey guys,

I have a problem not sure what exactly. I almost have my project done on chopping down my 78 xs400 Took it out today for a test run just installed new calipers and all new brake lines also a new throttle cable and cleaned the carbs. So I wanted to see how it was running and stopping. Anyway to the problem. I came to a stop and you know when you are stopped in gear with the clutch in your bike will roll backwards as if in neutral, well mine didnt i was trying to back up and well I couldnt even push back but I could roll forward!!!!????? Not sure what this is but it's done it a couple time today not sure what's goin on. Help me out fellas if you have any ideas. Thanks

sounds like the clutch is dragging to me is it properly adjusted , could be a bit too much freeplay at the lever/adjuster

or is it the wrong grade oil, Does it get better if the engine is hot? that would point too oil

Merv

sounds like the clutch is dragging to me is it properly adjusted , could be a bit too much freeplay at the lever/adjuster

or is it the wrong grade oil, Does it get better if the engine is hot? that would point too oil

Merv

Ditto from me.

And if i'm honest

Im sorry but when i read the title of this post i didn't know WHAT to expect........

I bet this post gets a lot of views... ;)

same here i thought you were on the wrong kind of site :lol::lol::lol::rolleyes:

any way back to the prob if the bike has been sitting for a while could be a number of things like final drive chain if it has one(may have a shaft)or could be clutch or as you said tranny fault :lol::lol: i would take the chain off first and see if you can push it back

I thought of clutch first but I really do think that your rear wheel is out of line.

It has been fine it just started yesterday. I am thinking clutch maybe because it does it sometimes not all the time. If i am driving and come to a stop it will roll back but if I stop and then pull up a little it wont roll. So it only does it after a stop then a little pull up but if i stop and hold the clutch in the whole time without releasing i can push it back or it will roll. So that is why I am thinking maybe clutch is out of adjustment. I dont know why the post was so funny.............

I dont know why the post was so funny.............

its funny because we all have our minds in the gutter :)

tranny = shortened version of transvestite.

so, in our sick little minds, this thread could have been about one of two things - either you had problems with your transmission, or you were having problems with your transvestite. :lol:

either way, you will receive a lot of responses...

good luck!

Does it roll back ok in neutral with the engine running

merv

Yes it rolls fine while running in neutral. Even if i put it in gear it rolls fine but if i let out enough to pull forward then pull the clutch back in it wont roll back only forward.

Yes it rolls fine while running in neutral. Even if i put it in gear it rolls fine but if i let out enough to pull forward then pull the clutch back in it wont roll back only forward.

does sound like clutch adjustment.

As the engine rotates it will let you go forward ( in a way engine assited clutch drag) but try and push back you are going against the engine rotation.

maybe your clutch rod is bent slightly so the clutch has no time to fully disengage!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online