Which R6?

RAC3R
This post is 5608 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all ive just passed my A2 test so im restricted to 33bhp. Ive been on a CBR125 for a couple of months. Im looking to get a restricted R6, i'll be using the bike pretty much every day and my budget is about £3K so i just wanted to know which year would be best. Thanks For the info

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Congratulations on passing your test mate.:yay:

I am riding a full power 01 R6 after riding a Aprillia RS125 before and after passing my test and find no problem with handling.

I am sure (others on here will know better) you will be ok with any R6 you restrict as its done in the same way.

What ever you go for enjoy and be safe, you cant enjoy your bike in a hospital bed or 6ft under

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the positive info im looking at probaly an 01 02 model. Any tips on insurance?

I'm 39 and quotes fully comp are around £450 upwards mark this is on a full bike liscence, depends on immobilisers / alarms / garaged or not / post code - all the usual stuff. Bikes data tagged, immobiliser and garaged!!

Some of the cheaper quotes had large excess though so watch out for that - seem a good price them slap on nearly a grands worth of excess.

I would'nt even condisidor third party fire and theft, not for a sports bike.

Good luck with the insurance mate :rolleyes::D

But unlucky for me im 18 so its more like £1600! Any of you ride round London?

One of the few advantages of being older is cheaper insurance - £160 fully comp on 2007 tdm900 - but I'm an old git living in Somerset:P

Guest FZ6 GEOFF S2

I am 19 three years no claims Restricted FZ6 Fazer S2 07 model. 3 Years NCB and IAM!

£800 Full comp

Good Luck Mate

Geez. I wonder how the yoof of today can afford to ride/drive at all. My 2 TDMs together cost me £330 comprehensive. When I had the R6 ('05MY) & TDM, the price was the same but the excess was £450 for the R6 and £350 for the TDM. then again, at 45 I'm also an old git and live well away from the Smoke.

Conversely, my daughter paid £1200 when she was 19 for a base model Corsa Merit, for crying out loud. The car wasn't even worth that. Apparently, as it was a 3-door version, the insurance companies claimed it constituted a sports car.....

Age-related high risk or not, that still constituted daylight robbery, as far as I'm concerned.

Is your £3K budget just for the bike, or does it have to cover insurance too? An '03 model should be well within reach if it's just the bike you have to pay for. The later the model, the less lairy, too. I believe that 99MY bikes are the wildest ride/worst handling, with the models getting "softer" as the model developed. My '05 model (USD forks, radial brakes) was allegedly the tamest of them all but it was more than enough for these old bones. Supreme grin factor built in every moving part, too.

Thanks for the help guys! but i guess thats the price i'll have to pay for the bike i want!

SRJ999 - i'll try and find myself a 2003 model then, i dont want to start my biking life in hairy situation now do i !

Again Thanks All!!

I'm finding it quite hard to find decent insurance, my best is £1396 third party only, third party fire & theft goes to over £9000! Do you get cheaper quotes online or by calling them up? and how much would it go down by roughly?

Thanks again!

oh and i live in NW London - dont know if that makes a difference

£1400? :o JESUS!!! I passed my test last August n went straight out n bought an R6. Only cost me £400 and that my first bike i've insured. Fully comp!! Think you need to move up north mate.

Should try the websites, I found the cheaper ones on there.

Good luck from Newcastle.

Geez, man; why are you bothering? I know this puts me into boring old fart territory but how the feck can you justify spending that much on insurance? NINE GRAND? Forget it. Get a cheaper category bike and build up at least a couple of years NCB. The robbers, sorry, insurance companies are always going to target young, inexperienced riders/drivers. However, doesn't having a restrictor (which I presume you will have to fit) make any difference to the quote? Personally, I think that paying that much would be utterly stupid. Nine grand buys a brand new R1, for God's sake.

Oh; I did both the online and the phone option and found that online was generally a little cheaper. However, when I needed to ask anything, rather than send emails and wait, I would first phone to check and then finish it all online. For me, Carole Nash came out cheapest but my premiums are always going to be less (see boring old fart reference above).

Still looking around best i found was £3590 fully comp on a 2000 model still too much i think. Fully comp seems to be cheaper than TPFT :blink: . Tried some other bikes aswell GSXR600 2000 £1600 TPFT and 600 Hornet £1200 TPFT and the cheapest was SV650 2004 £999 TPFT. Any advice?

Shop around some more and start saving those pennies - they dont eed to make trhe bike test more difficult with insurance costing so much for first time riders!!!

Still looking around best i found was £3590 fully comp on a 2000 model still too much i think. Fully comp seems to be cheaper than TPFT :blink: . Tried some other bikes aswell GSXR600 2000 £1600 TPFT and 600 Hornet £1200 TPFT and the cheapest was SV650 2004 £999 TPFT. Any advice?

a couple of things mate...

i know u have ur heart probably set on the r6, and it is a great bike but restructed to 33bhp, means you would find an aprilia rs125 full poer faster, and defo better handling unless your 18 stone or 6'4

other than that ring premium choice, they stuck me with equity red star, i get my r6 insurance though them, im 24 2 years ncb, two 12 month bans :( 3 points, own a 56 r6, 04 april rs, and a k4 gsxr 600, all insured for 900, my policy basically goes off which would be the dearest which is the r6, so effectively 900 for that. i dont live in london which i imagine is expensive, but i do live in st helens, about 5 minute drive from liverpool, and we all know what thieving bastards they are in that kneck of the woods.

ps, only joking scousers, calm down calm down!

I've recently bought an 08 R6 and live in SW London, having previously paid £200 a year for my Monster 900, it went up to £700 (Comp) for the R6. I found MCE and Bennetts to be way cheaper than anyone else. The policy from both is actually from Groupama.

Went with MCE as they were actually more helpful, and gave better customer service.

The bad news is, I'm 34 and held my A class for over 12 years...............

Thanks for all the help guys but i think im gonna have to go for a Hornet 600 for a couple of years :angry: but after those two years i should have enough for a newer R6 with cheaper insurance! :D People on Bike Chat Forums advised me not to get the Gixxer 600 even though the insurance was the same as the Hornet!?

Been looking at the 2006 FZ6 (unfaired) they just about fit my budget and insurance is great £545! so it might be the one for now. Anyone know if they are any good?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online