Possibly buying R1...

tubthumped
This post is 5851 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone,

I'm currently thinking of getting another bike to use as more of an everyday toy so the NC30 can sit and wait for super sunny days and track outings.

Anyway, i'm thinking of getting an early R1... so would appreciate peoples thoughts on them.

What things should i look out for other than the usual crash damage and wear and tear?

What are they like with a pillion? It needs to be useable for the odd ride-out with the girlfriend on the back...

Are there an reliability issues i need to think about?

Thanks for your help!

Craig.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

for a everyday bike you say? if so i wouldnt recomend getting one

a better everyday bike with a comfortable ride is a fazer

r1 is more a weekend toy in my eyes..

I love mine, I commute on it, ride out with my mates (spent last weekend in the Derbyshire Dales with the snow) and find it does everything you need, couple of years ago I was on a biking holiday abroad did 3500mls in 10 days and another guy had an R1 with his girlfriend on the back! (I was on my old Honda)

They are phenominal bikes quick, light and nimble plus you can get a good 150mls from a tank, servicing is 6000mls and on the new one the valves don't need checking untill 24,000mls. Their are hundred of spares on ebay or salvage so you neer need worry about spares.

Good luck.

Square Box.

PS Look in for sale on here several members have R1's for sale.

Thanks for the replies.. I think my term 'everyday' is a little inaccurate.

Basically i need a bike thats gonna get used quite a lot, but it won't be a day in day out ride in all weathers commuter. The Pug Diesel or Focus does that lol.

This bike (R1 or Blade on my shortlist) will need to get ridden a 2 or 3 times a week, do the odd weekend away or trip to the Nurburgring, and be capable of fun blasts out 2 up.

Importantly it also has to be a fun bike to ride, good handling, decent pace and ability to hold it's nose in the air all kind of count towards that :)

Thoughts of Fazers, Blandits, Firestorms etc have all passed through my mind, but for me it still has to be something along the lines of a 'blade or R1... just trying to weigh up the pro's and con's of each at the minute.

Thanks once again,

Craig.

Hi everyone,

I'm currently thinking of getting another bike to use as more of an everyday toy so the NC30 can sit and wait for super sunny days and track outings.

Anyway, i'm thinking of getting an early R1... so would appreciate peoples thoughts on them.

What things should i look out for other than the usual crash damage and wear and tear?

What are they like with a pillion? It needs to be useable for the odd ride-out with the girlfriend on the back...

Are there an reliability issues i need to think about?

Thanks for your help!

Craig.

Get the R1, I’ve had my for 5 years now and it's been used just about everyday for most of that time, including winter, it's never gone bad, the only thing I had to do was to change the battery, regular service and it will run for years. Long trips are ok, you can get about 120-150 miles from a tank if you're on motorways, body position is pretty good, I actually prefer it to the new bikes for some reason. Riding with a passenger is crap, I hate it personally but that's just me, saying that you wouldn't see me on the back of one of those, the sit is pretty small and hard.

i agree, defo get an R1!! i've heard so many good things about them and im inclinded to belive them. bike magazine also did a 4 page spread on the R1 a while ago and couldn't praise it enough as a race bike and as a mile muncher. i think if i remember rite Nick sanders had chosen an R1 to try and set the world record for travelling around the world on a motorcycle, he did it but guiness didn't aknowlede his acheivment as they said what he had done was to dangerous cos of his amazingly high average speed. the twats. anyways my next bike is gonna be an r1, an 1998 model in red and white. got it all planned out :) Al

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online