'97 XV535 vs. XV535 from all other years

motovator
This post is 3695 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I was looking for a lightly used beginner bike, and finally narrowed it down to either '96 Kawasaki Vulcan EN500 or '97 Yamaha Virago XV535. I looked up the reliability rating at bikez.com for the '97 XV535 and found it to be far below average, and significantly below EN500, and '96 XV535. The rating seems to be poor for only model year '97.

I also looked up the cost (Motorcycle Consumer News), and found that there is a huge jump in price for '97 models. The average prices (in US) for '98 Models: $2090, '96 models: $1775, and '97 models: $4340!

That's more than twice the '98 models!

So does anyone know what changes were made in '97 XV535 that made it less reliable but more expensive on the used market? Thanks.

• 5 years later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have read that the earlier models had starter issues. The later models were modified and so more reliable. I also think they made the tank bigger on the later models as the earlier ones had a small tank under the seat.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online