Help with a 1995 XJ600N

rob_arrowsmith
This post is 5850 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, Just brought a 1995 XJ600n as my first big bike after passing my Direct access.

unfortunatly it didnt come with a manual and been having trouble locating one.

Anyway my problem was that the other day I ran out of fuel on it, and found to my error that i hadnt any reserve tank on it. Can any one help by telling me with position i turn my fuel switch to for off, main tank and reserve.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers from

rob

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, Just brought a 1995 XJ600n as my first big bike after passing my Direct access.

unfortunatly it didnt come with a manual and been having trouble locating one.

Anyway my problem was that the other day I ran out of fuel on it, and found to my error that i hadnt any reserve tank on it. Can any one help by telling me with position i turn my fuel switch to for off, main tank and reserve.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers from

rob

Hi Rob

When I bought mine the chap in the garage told me the tap settings are; arrow up for "reserve"; arrow forward for "prime"; and arrow down for "main"

Now either this guy was talking bollocks or we both have a problem lol

I've had the same problem. I have a '97 xj600n and it did exactly the same "no reserve" and i got caught out a few times. I'm in the middle of giving mine a custom respray at the moment, i've had the tank to bits and the fuel tap off to prep it, i thought i would be able to sort the problem out while i was there. to drain the tank i pulled the fuel hose off and set the tap to "prime" so it would drain quicker which worked. as the fuel got really low (into reserve tank as you can see by looking deep into the tank) i set the tap back to "main" and fuel still kept pissing out!! So i guess rob, yours is doing the same as mine and just totally emptying the tank when the tap's set to main. So I'd love to know how it works/what's wrong too.

Its possible that the reserve tube on the petcock has fallen off or has a leak in it to allow fuel to still flow into the carbs when it is set to "ON". I've heard thats a problem with lots of older bikes, and is worth checking into.

I've got an xj600s now converted naked and my bike will start to idle around 500rpms when I am low on fuel, then when I switch it to "Reserve" it kicks the idle back up a bit.

Cheers Guys, took the bike to bits this morning and think I've located the problem, also found out why it was making my garage smell of petrol. Stupid tap seemed to have a small leak in it and the reserve tube wasnt fully connected.

Ah well at least this explains the problem and i'm glad to see im not the only one who had a problem with the reserve tank.

Again thanks for all the help.

rob

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online