thundercat engine temp

stephen101972
This post is 5832 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi im new to this forum but wondered if anyone had any idea what the normal engine temperature should be on a yzf 600 thundercat 1998. the only reason i ask is that last week i took mine up to scotland and have never used it in the cold before but normally the gauge reads about 60 degrees c but when i went up north it dropped to about 40 degrees c and started missfiring. all the lads at work say there bikes are normally running about 75- 80 degrees c and dont fall much below this when on the move.

when the temp on my bike drops it starts to missfire but when i stop and the temperature rises it stops missfiring. my suspisions lie with the thermostat or lack of thermostat but wanted to check with you guys first in case it is a common problem.

any help would be greatly appreciated in this matter.

kindest regards steve

:)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi there, i have a 1996 thundercat 600, and i live in the south where its a bit more mild. my temp gauge only reads from 60-100 so it just stays on 60 usually, when i ride it for a while in traffic it goes up to around 70-80. however this morning it was frosty and freezing and the bike wouldn't start, wen it did it coughed and spluttered and died as i was riding along 2 miles away!! embarassing. i dunno, maybe you should choke the old girl for longer before you ride her otherwise theres no time for it to heat up and the air intakes will be pushing cold air in as soon as you start riding fast. hope this helps

Your suffering a bit of Carb icing. Basically what tends to happen (and I speak from being an all year rider who previously owned a Thundercat) you can start you bike up fine first thing in the morning. But whilst your riding it cold air is forced into the bike intake and the moisure in the air freezes in the carb causing the needle to stick. This then causes the mis fire that you speak of. If you stop for a while (even with engine running) there is no longer that rush of cold air so the heat from the engine thaws out the carbs and you can carry on, for a short distance until the freeze cycle starts again.

it's common to alot of bikes, some worse than others. Fuel injection doesn't suffer the same problem luckily.

You could try putting some cardboard over part of the radiator so that it increases the temp and see if that helps at all.

many thanks for your swift replies, it does seem to like these reasons could be why the problem has occured. hopefully when the weather picks up i wont have these problems.

i changed the spark plugs today as well good job really because they were looking a bit second hand upon examination so would have thought this could also be contributing to the problem as well.

once again thanks for your swift replies it always helps to have independant advice.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online