Popping when reving down

bikertec
This post is 5827 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My bike XJ600N has been stood over the winter and now seems to have developed a problem when revving down, it starts popping. My first thought is it sucking air in through the carbs. but cannot see where. Everything working well revs no probs drives spot on but just pops when I close the throttle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I also own an xj600n and the previous owner had the same problem, he found it to be a small hole in the down pipe of the exhaust and ended up replacing the full thing with a motard system which has made the bike sound awesome and improved the looks tremendously

I also own an xj600n and the previous owner had the same problem, he found it to be a small hole in the down pipe of the exhaust and ended up replacing the full thing with a motard system which has made the bike sound awesome and improved the looks tremendously
Thnkyou I will give it a try saves me from stripping the carbs down. Makes sense I know my exhuast is blowing slightly tippicle divvies. :D

It was the previous owner who got the motad system. he paid £600 for the full system but im unsure where he got it from sorry.

Quick note: just been on intobikes.co.uk and they do the full system for £385.40 inc VAT.

In my opinion just changing the exhaust system might not help, but will cost a lot. Poppig is usually happens when air-fuel mixture is not set correctly, or the ignition time is bad. Loud popping in the exhaust pipe means that the fuel is not burned in the engine, and it explodes in the pipe.

1.: Check all sparkplugs. (gap, oxidation, etc...)

2.: Clean the carbs. And set them correctly.

3.: Set ignition

4.: Check the exhaust or change it, if you want to...

If your motorcycle was stored for the winter with fuel in the tank you have a 0. option, drain all the old fuel, and fill it up with new fuel. Fuel falls apart with time.