Fuel Tank removal '89 xj600

Camus
This post is 5841 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

It looks like there is no 'off' postion for the fuel tap , a first for me , guess that means I need to drain the tank somehow before removing it (for access to filters etc) , or am I on the wrong track?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It looks like there is no 'off' postion for the fuel tap , a first for me , guess that means I need to drain the tank somehow before removing it (for access to filters etc) , or am I on the wrong track?

no off = vacuum fuel tap - fuel only flows when the vacuum in the carbs (from the running engine) opens a diaphragm in the fuel tap (hence the thin rubber hose to the vacuum point on the carbs, usually onto carb #2).

If the fuel tap is in good shape, no fuel will flow when you take the tank off (assuming that the tap isn't in "Prime" position...

Paul

no off = vacuum fuel tap - fuel only flows when the vacuum in the carbs (from the running engine) opens a diaphragm in the fuel tap (hence the thin rubber hose to the vacuum point on the carbs, usually onto carb #2).

If the fuel tap is in good shape, no fuel will flow when you take the tank off (assuming that the tap isn't in "Prime" position...

Paul

Thanks Paul, your advice is much appreciated, will be giving it a go.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online