XS400 spoke wheels

CadXS
This post is 1371 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Having trouble sourcing some spoked wheels for my XS400 project and was wondering which other model/manufacturers wheels could be used instead? I have a '79 XS400 with mags and discs front and rear and was also considering changing to a drum rear brake (for purely aesthetic reasons). Is this conversion possible if I acquire the relevant parts? Thanks for any help you may provide. Caddy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Having trouble sourcing some spoked wheels for my XS400 project and was wondering which other model/manufacturers wheels could be used instead? I have a '79 XS400 with mags and discs front and rear and was also considering changing to a drum rear brake (for purely aesthetic reasons). Is this conversion possible if I acquire the relevant parts? Thanks for any help you may provide. Caddy

you need xs250 wire wheels, check on ebay as they come up all the time, they are disk front but also disk rear.

custom styles will have disk front and drum rear.

if you do get a drum front you will need the fork lowers as well. ditto the rear as you will need a bracket to stop the brake plate rotating.

try german ebay as well, and get the hubs sent as you can get rims and spokes from central wheel birmingham.

check out the garage for mine wires on a 400

hello CadXS !

just wondered where abouts your based at ?

i might have sniffed something out in worcester ,

just waiting for confirmation !

cheers !

Hello xs360

Like your good self I am from the People's Republic of Yorkshire (near Pontefract to be more exact). Any tips would be much appreciated. Caddy

Hello xs360

Like your good self I am from the People's Republic of Yorkshire (near Pontefract to be more exact). Any tips would be much appreciated. Caddy

I lurrve Pontefract cakes

funny that ,

i did some work near pontefract ,

the spread eagle at darrington and it was thirsty work :D

funny that ,

i did some work near pontefract ,

the spread eagle at darrington and it was thirsty work :D

Strange....I also get thirsty near the Spread Eagle in Darrington???

Strange....I also get thirsty near the Spread Eagle in Darrington???

xs250 with wires on ebay now

xs250 with wires on ebay now

Thanks for that Drewpy, I saw the ad earlier on my regular Ebay trawl. Eastbourne just seems a long way to go (especially as I do not have a car license) and I really wanted the drum brake wires. I'm probably going to be looking for ever.....

Caddy

Thanks for that Drewpy, I saw the ad earlier on my regular Ebay trawl. Eastbourne just seems a long way to go (especially as I do not have a car license) and I really wanted the drum brake wires. I'm probably going to be looking for ever.....

Caddy

you need to look in ebay germany, and pay the postage!!

you maybe able to go rear drum wire discfront with an early Rd wheel set

Merv

Thanks for the advice Merv. When I asked about other models of Yam's that possibly had the same wheels it was the RD's I was thinking about. Do you know if the wheels are a straight swap, or would I need forks/swingarm etc. from a donar bike as well? Caddy

Thanks for the advice Merv. When I asked about other models of Yam's that possibly had the same wheels it was the RD's I was thinking about. Do you know if the wheels are a straight swap, or would I need forks/swingarm etc. from a donar bike as well? Caddy

I reckon you would need the swingarm not sure about forks are yours 34 or 35 mm the early yams had 34 mm forks with larger spindles than the later bikes, the E modles with the single piston calipers had the 35 mm forks, the 250 C wheels would be the best bet with drum rear

Merv

I've got an XS250 C which has wire wheels front and back, with drums at both ends. The rims are 18" and the hubs are in good condition. I'm considering breaking the bike (currently a project) as I've just bought an SR250 off ebay :blink:

Let me know if you're interested ;)

Kayla

I've got an XS250 C which has wire wheels front and back, with drums at both ends. The rims are 18" and the hubs are in good condition. I'm considering breaking the bike (currently a project) as I've just bought an SR250 off ebay :blink:

Let me know if you're interested ;)

Kayla

Thanks for the post Kayla, I have sent you a PM.

Caddy

Thanks for everybody's help and advice with my search for some XS400 spoke wheels

Luckily for me Kayla has bought a new project bike and kindly sold me the parts I need from her XS250.

Caddy

Thanks for everybody's help and advice with my search for some XS400 spoke wheels

Luckily for me Kayla has bought a new project bike and kindly sold me the parts I need from her XS250.

Caddy

Result mate

Merv

• 12 years later...

no idea, you'd have to get measurements off the vendor and see if the chain line works too

I would expect so, you should expect some work though. Is the 500 not fitted with a drum rear brake? That could be a complication. The front brake disks may need swapping or the caliper mounts adjusting. Just depends on your spanner skills.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online